Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Sun visor mod

Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't we just spray-paint them?
(mine is 2010... you can tell just by looking at them that they wont come out easy)

they are kinda glossy, so i don't know if rattle can spray paint will work... what do you think? just flat black?...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I started taking my stickers off and like some of you already said, they must have changed the stickers because they do not just pull right off. I tried using my finger nail which got it started but did not remove much after about 30 min. I then tried using a hair dryer to heat up the sticker which at first looked like it was going to work but the heat started to mess up the visor material. I found that a razor blade works with a little care. Use the tip of the blade to get under the sticker, push the non-sharp edge against the sticker as you pry it away from the visor. I found that it works best to take the sticker off in 1/4 in. strips at a time. I'm slowly working on this a little at a time. I'm about half way done with the driver's side with no damge to the visor. Side note....Take the visor off the vehicle to do this. It makes it so much more comfortable to work on it.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah...what If u taped them off and sprayed them flat black? Anyone try it?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

maybe it would be nice to see some pics of those 2010 warning stickers that didn't want to come off and left just a mess, just to have an idea on how bad it can get and see if one can figure out another way.

BTW... anyone on the painting solution?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4doorlesRedRock
has no one heard of goo gone spray paint... really?
if you can get the 2010 stickers off with goo gone we would love to know how
Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM
sky
JK Enthusiast

^ x2
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bingote
can't we just spray-paint them?
(mine is 2010... you can tell just by looking at them that they wont come out easy)

they are kinda glossy, so i don't know if rattle can spray paint will work... what do you think? just flat black?...
Go to your local auto body paint store and buy a rattle can of SEM vinyl die (paint) for vinyl and plastic. You can get it in a variety of colors, just get the color that matches your visors. Mine are dark gray. Take the visors off and clean the sticker surface with lighter fluid or Acrili-Clean or Prep-Sol vinyl cleaner. This will remove any oils and vinyl outgassing. Mask off the visor to keep the sticker surface exposed. Spray the SEM paint over the sticker in light coats, letting it set up between coats. Follow the instructions on the can. A couple of coats will completely cover the sticker. After about an hour of dry time, remove the masking tape, install the visors, and enjoy. The SEM paint remains plyable and won't peel off the vinyl if it's prepared properly.

Mark
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I will be painting mine. There is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks those stickers will come off.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does autozone or advance auto have the interior color sprays (dark grey)??
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing mine now!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2190678657.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	119583  

Quick Reply: Sun visor mod