Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Teraflex Lift Install by Mechanically Challenged?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiroJK
I have a feeling that if you ask some of the Colorado guys will be happy to help
X3

This is one of the best benefits of being a Jeeper. The friends you make while working on each others Jeeps builds strong friends. Just ask one of the guys to help and before you know it there will be 15 guys trying to help you out. Join the club and commence DIY projects.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

any other newbs install their own lift ??
Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will be doing the Teraflex lift install myself when I'm ready and I'll be following this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...94-Spring-Lift

Looks very helpful!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re:

My 2 cents...
Ditto on what others say..
The worst part of the job for me was removing the front shocks. I do live in the rust belt though, and had a beeatch of a time wrenching above the tower... I did take out the inner fender which helped a lot. So, soak those puppies down with some release-all, days before...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 20jk08
My 2 cents...
Ditto on what others say..
The worst part of the job for me was removing the front shocks. I do live in the rust belt though, and had a beeatch of a time wrenching above the tower... I did take out the inner fender which helped a lot. So, soak those puppies down with some release-all, days before...
X2 Soak everything with something like PB Blaster. Start a few days before the install and give every bolt a squirt each day until you start the install.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
Started to price tools and would definately be closer to $200. Really want to give this a try but the wife thinks I'm crazy. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Any more thoughts out there?
If you do it, please take lots of pictures a do a write up. I'm in a similar situation, I love getting my hands dirty but have don't have much experience working on vehicles or a stocked tool box. One of the top things on my list is a Terraflex lift.

Have fun
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

One tool I needed for my lift was a HUGE vice. Rusty's Offroad send me shocks with the brushings not installed. I tried a hammer, hammer and lube, a vice, and eventually I had to use lube and a vice to get the brushings in. And I mean this thing looked like a 100 lb vice at least.

Second, the front shocks were a PITA. My advice, is to use a 8mm wrench, duck taped to the top of your fender liners, to hold the top of the front shock while you wiggle the shock nut down with another wrench.

I had a full auto shop to use (military base perk ) but had NO auto experience. It took me 11 hours to get it done, but it was well worth the effort and know alot more about my Jeep now.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did mine in my garage with help from a friend. I had almost no experience working on cars. I was able to borrow a few tools from people so I didn't have to buy much. It wasn't as easy as some on this board to make it out to be, but it was easy enough that there's no way I'd pay someone $350 to do it for me. It did take a full day to finish, but it's worth it.

I would recommend renting some spring compressors from an auto shop. That will help smooth over the pain points of getting the coils in and out.

You can do it for sure, just get a friend or forum member to help out.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I've already said this but it bears repeating: BUY SOME WHEEL CHOCKS AND PUT YOUR JEEP IN 4-LO (and in gear) WHILE YOU'RE WORKING ON IT.

Otherwise there is NOTHING to prevent it from rolling when both rear wheels are off the ground.

This is obvious when you think about it, but not so obvious if when you're in the middle of an install and thinking about a thousand other details.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but here's a partial list.

Socket set with 1/2" drive plus 10, 15, 18, 19, and 21 mm sockets.

18, 19, and 21 mm socket wrenches (preferably ratcheting).

Socket extensions.

1/2" drive breaker bar.

1/2" torque wrench (a good one that'll do at least 200 lb/ft).

Good adjustable wrench.

Rubber mallet.

Hammer.

PB Blaster.

Red/Blue LocTite.

3-ton service jack.

6-ton jack stands (just to be sure).

Measuring tape.

Wheel chocks.

Chalk.

Spring compressor (can be borrowed from Autozone if needed).

Most of my tools are Craftsman or Husky Pro (Home Depot's house brand). They've both worked well on lots of different projects.

Plan ahead, take your time, and get a buddy to help you.

Don't forget to shift your Jeep into 4-Lo before you begin. Helps (along with the wheel chocks) keep it from rolling when both rear wheels are off the ground!

Also, watch your rear wheel/tire clearance on the sway bar end links. I needed spaces to clear properly. That was another $190 tacked on to the price of the lift (although the spacers really balance out the stance nicely).

EDIT: having a spare car handy for trips to the store for stuff you need is helpful, too.
Can anyone give me a ballpark on what all these tools will cost? $250? more?

Quick Reply: Teraflex Lift Install by Mechanically Challenged?