Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Third Row Seat Install - "Little Seats"

Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im thinking I could just replace the rear seat in my 2door with these....the side facing option is SWEET!!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could carry more gear and or parts
Old 07-16-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Freak

looks good, nice write up. the bottoms of those fold up dont they?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bahadden
looks good, nice write up. the bottoms of those fold up dont they?
Yeah, see picture 7.

I'm not real big on cutting up my rear storage cover, but side-facing is more convenient. . I guess I'll look for someone that has bought the Tuffy & wants to ditch their old cover for cheap.

And... it reminds me of my old FJ-40.

We've already used it a couple of times. It really improve the flexibility. If we are carrying 6 people (2 adults, 4 kids) we can fold down the left side of the middle seat so we can carry an ice chest or dogs.

Last edited by YellowToy; 07-16-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I added a third row folding bench seat from that company. Had to make my own installationbrackets as it didn't come with any; it sits over that little "trunk," so you have to bolt a cross bar across the "trunk" on which the frame of the seat is bolted to. I ordered the three passenger model, but they sent the two passenger one instead and I kept it as it leaves room on the sides to store things. I'm very very happy with it. It removes very easily and I have a 7 passenger, convertible SUV. Very nice. Love taking my kids camping in it. They sit in the 3rd row and the middle section holds all the gear. My next thing will be to get one of those hitch trunks. And when the JK's all paid for, convert it to a plug in hybrid.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
I added a third ... middle section holds all the gear. My next thing will be to get one of those hitch trunks. And when the JK's all paid for, convert it to a plug in hybrid.

For extra storage I picked-up the aluminum "hitch hauler" from Harbor Freight when it went on sale at half price (around $55). Then, I got one of those big black plastic containers from Lowe's to bolt to it. I plan on eventually getting a light trailer when I get rid of my truck for the times I have to carry things like lawn mowers, lumber & canoes.

Hybrid conversion.... Now that's a project. I'm guessing that will void the power train warranty. My Uncle is converting an old S10 to all electric right now, but I can't imagine trying to make a hybrid & combine the electric motor & gas motor.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

i finished my third row install yesterday. I used a center section two seater bench from a caravan i got for 36 bucks out of a srap yard. i removed the brackets from it, welded steel tube to the frame and made some brackets to attach it to the factory rear seat mounts for the front. in the rear the steel tube extends back just right and is angled just right that when you shut the tail gate the tail gate actually holds the rear down. It removes in under 2 minutes, fits 2 people, uses lap belts. and is suprisingly comfy for me a 220 lb 5' 10" man. I'm entirely please with it as its sturdy, easily removable, and when removed is as if it was never even there. I did have to forfit my stock subwoofer to fit it, but so far i don't miss it, stereo still sounds great and i like it not being in the way in the back for loading up larger cargo.

Anyway, i'll take some pics soon enough and post up and link it to this thread for those that want to see. the bench from the caravan also leans back and while there is not room lean it back more than an inch in the jeep, at the drive in movie its perfect to pop out, sit on the ground and lean back in for two people, two more can chil in the cargo space of the jeep and the other three can bring collapsable chairs... a seven seater Jeep, i never thought it would be real, haha. stay tuned for my post with pics, hopefully tomorrow
Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

okay, at long last i took some pics... i'll set up a thread and post the link here in a few minutes...

Edit: heres the link to my thread / write up with pics... sorry the pics are huge, i don't know what i'm doing when it comes to that.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d=1#post619109

Last edited by yellowjeeper85; 07-30-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

How are these holding up? I will be ordering one of these soon.

Thanks, and thanks for the great write up on the install.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by db99wj
How are these holding up? I will be ordering one of these soon.

Thanks, and thanks for the great write up on the install.
The seats are great. One seat belt is a little finicky, but has been since I bought them. You just have to pull it out slow or it latches up.

Quick Reply: Third Row Seat Install - "Little Seats"