Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Third row seating for the JK

Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight, I posted a mod I did about adding a third row of seating in my Jeep. I got several requests to do a writeup, so here goes. I don't have any pictures of the process itself, but the instructions are simple enough the pictures aren't required. The entire process took just over an hour (that included locating the tools, chasing the dog, etc).

Of everything I've built and installed, this was by far the most simple and complete product I've found. Everything worked just fine and I didn't have to tweak the instructions to get things to fit.

The third row seating I used is from ht tp://www.littlepassengerseats.com. The bench does not fold down and can be removed or installed forward or rear facing. To pull the bench out, it just requires the removal of four bolts.

To start, I have an '09 JK 4-door X. I do have a lift and several other mods (which you can check from the link in my signature). This installation did not interfere with any of them.

The kit came with the seat, two headrests, two U-shaped brackets, two L-shaped brackets, a drill template, and a bracket that goes under the tub (just above the control arms).

I removed the tool panel in the rear and folded the middle seats down. Then, the carpet is pulled up and folded forward towards the front seats.

The kit comes with a template to mark the six holes that need drilling. You place the template in the back of the Jeep, centered left to right and 6 1/4" forward of the tool panel brackets.

Drill one of the outer-most holes (1/4") down through the tub and put one of the small bolts in its hole to hold the template steady. Keeping the template steady, drill the remainder of the holes. There are six total. The drill bit went through the tub very easily, so don't apply too much pressure. The outer-most holes were directly on top of my long control arms, so be careful.

Remove the template and throw it away.

Re-drill two of the holes with a 5/16" bit (they're the two holes that are 15" apart). Re-drill the other four holes with a 1/2" bit.

That's all the drilling that's required.

From here, two people are required. One person is inside the Jeep and the other is under it. The person under the Jeep will hold the outer bracket in place while the person inside screws in two 1/4" bolts (don't forget to use the washers). I used some locktite on the screws for good measure (that's not in the instructions).

Once the two bolts are in place, it's back to a one-person job.

Screw four of the large bolts in just so they're about an inch above the tub. Fold the carpeting back in place and cut some holes where the bolt heads are. Remove just enough so that the fibers of the carpet won't get into the screw.

Remove the screws and put all the carpeting back in place.

Now, place the two large L-shaped brackets down so that the threaded holes run parallel to the rear wheels. Put some locktite on the four long screws and put them in. Get them nice and tight.

Now, place the two U-shaped brackets on the L-shaped ones so that the U's open towards each other. Use the remaining four screws and washers. Screw the brackets down loose enough so they can move freely. We'll tighten them in a bit.

My bench came with shoulder seatbelts. I needed to remove them from under the bench (shipping location) and bolt them to the rear of the seat. There are two bolts back there. Very easy.

Now, unscrew the four bolts under the seat and use them to bolt the seat to the top of the U-shaped brackets. This is a little tricky since there's only a few inches clearance and you need to use a socket wrench to do it properly. This is the hardest part of the installation.

Once the bench is mounted to the U-shaped brackets, tighten everything up. Attach the headrests.

To remove the bench, just remove the four bolts holding either the bench or the U-shaped brackets.

My plan is to keep the brackets installed and make a platform for storage while rock crawling.

I tested it out with my nephews (ages 6 and 9). They had plenty of leg room and they said it was a very smooth ride. I tested it on the highway up to 80 mph. I also took it "offroad" (just bumping around the grassy area behind my house). They said it wasn't any different than sitting in the middle of the Jeep.

Here are a couple pictures of the final install.

This is the third row itself.

Here's an image taken from the driver's seat.

The cloth matches better than the photos show. It's about 98% perfect. The headrests are the only thing that look "wrong".

Last edited by Absolute; 11-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks surprisingly good.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Awesome

Def awesome i like that
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong here but... DAMN.

I like having the option of a 4 door jeep but I do believe the "minivan haters" are going to have a hay day with this one.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good. Be prepared for the safety Nazi's to chime in (happened before). BTW, I found the directions from LittleSeats totally confusing. Guess I was retarded

I have a 3rd row , but did mine rear facing

Last edited by Schantin; 10-14-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys that looks good, I really think I might have to do this.

Last edited by metro7100; 10-14-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what those rear facing ones will be good for? Backing up to the pond and tossing your line in for fishing in the convenience of your Jeep, really kinda cool actually
Old 10-15-2009, 01:41 AM
JK Junkie

Looks great....For the JKs w/the infinity system, does it allow you to keep the subwoofer in tact or would it have to be removed/relocated? Seems like it would be a tight fit for the sub...Thanks..
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aldaman
Looks great....For the JKs w/the infinity system, does it allow you to keep the subwoofer in tact or would it have to be removed/relocated? Seems like it would be a tight fit for the sub...Thanks..
I relocated the sub. It is between the 2nd and 3rd row seat now. Here's a link (pics of relocated subwoofer on last page):

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=3rd+row+seat
Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
You know what those rear facing ones will be good for? Backing up to the pond and tossing your line in for fishing in the convenience of your Jeep, really kinda cool actually
Great for tailgate parties as well!!!

Quick Reply: Third row seating for the JK