Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing a cooler now, bought an extra 3/8" hose. The inside diameter of the hose is a little bigger than the other one, is that okay?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Installing a cooler now, bought an extra 3/8" hose. The inside diameter of the hose is a little bigger than the other one, is that okay?
Coolers are low pressure. I would think as long as it goes on the nipple relatively snug you should be fine.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Coolers are low pressure. I would think as long as it goes on the nipple relatively snug you should be fine.
Isn't the cooler part of the fluid loop? Thus being higher pressure on one side, and lower on the return side? The trans cooler line on my Chevrolet van came off and shot out all of the fluid in seconds. Dealer told me that after the quick release clamp fell off the line came off because there is high pressure in the system especially during acceleration.

Last edited by Hvacwelder; 07-12-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went with a Hayden Rapid Cool 678 (3/4 inch x 11 inch x 9-1/2 inch). The hose that came with the kit was pretty much impossible to fit on a 3/8 barb, so I had to buy another.

Everything went without a hitch thanks to this thread. Still need to install some wire loom to protect the hoses.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

I've noticed that the newer version of the B&M Supercoolers no longer come with mounting brackets and barbs etc. Just a few foam pads and zap-strap to go thru the radiator; which I'd rather not do. What are people using for parts other than what was mentioned in the first post?

Last edited by schwa; 07-07-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone know how much a shop would charge to install one? And do you think one of these is a must if I will be towing a pop up trailer?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by schwa
I've noticed that the newer version of the B&M Supercoolers no longer come with mounting brackets and barbs etc. Just a few foam pads and zap-strap to go thru the radiator; which I'd rather not do. What are people using for parts other than what was mentioned in the first post?
Make sure you're looking at the B&M 70268 There are other B&M variations. Amazon.com still lists it including installation kit.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
Anyone know how much a shop would charge to install one? And do you think one of these is a must if I will be towing a pop up trailer?
Yes I do, I tried to tow a pop up for a season, I installed the cooler first and was able to monitor Trans temp with a bullydog tuner. I think it helps for sure. The jeep however, with the tires, armor and bumpers was way under powered and I gave up on it. Since then I have trade the spousal unit's vehicle in on a F150 ecoboost and we have upgraded to a 27' travel trailer.

As for the cooler, even though i dont tow with it anymore, it is nothing for my tran temp to stay below 130 on hwy, even in this Texas heat.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ConroeJK

Yes I do, I tried to tow a pop up for a season, I installed the cooler first and was able to monitor Trans temp with a bullydog tuner. I think it helps for sure. The jeep however, with the tires, armor and bumpers was way under powered and I gave up on it. Since then I have trade the spousal unit's vehicle in on a F150 ecoboost and we have upgraded to a 27' travel trailer.

As for the cooler, even though i dont tow with it anymore, it is nothing for my tran temp to stay below 130 on hwy, even in this Texas heat.
Thanks for the info.. maybe it's a trans cooler and new gears.. any idea on costs to install this?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
Thanks for the info.. maybe it's a trans cooler and new gears.. any idea on costs to install this?
I did the install of the cooler myself with the help of this forum it is a simple install, been running it for over a year, no issues. I'm thinking about gears this fall now that my rig is paid off.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler