Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tubestorage...PVC Tube for interior cargo space on top of wheel fenders...

Old 07-31-2017, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tubestorage...PVC Tube for interior cargo space on top of wheel fenders...

This is my first post since I registered at forum a couple months ago..the time I last reading the almost 500 pages of the Cheapo/First Mods post...

Thanks to those who posted on that thread I already have done the classics mods to my JK '07, almost stock, I just modded with a roof rack, the parking light mod, hood locks, screws on shifter bizel, a Joying head unit, led fog lights, tailgate table, rear camera, plastidipped the key holes, everything I could do it sice a couple months I had with the JK.

My apologies if something similiar is already posted at the forum talking on this mod I built it.

After seeing a lot of posts and possible storage spaces I saw the top of the rear wheel is very hard to use it normally, because of the shape it has...

and as I carry all the time with a couple of poncho liners for beach, camping, cold nights, etc they live in the Jeep.

I thought on making a couple of PVC tubes for storage them....

So it came to this...

I bought at Home Depot a 3' of 4" PVC tube, 4 couples and 4 end caps... I cut at the half of the tube, glued the couples and left one cap of each tube with no gluing....

After a can of OD paint...thinking on matching the military ammo cans...a stencil made of a piece of paper printed on my printer (since I didnt want to go to a place for ordering stickers, which would be better look) then it came out:

The final measurement length: 22"
Around: $8 usd on pvc tube and caps + $ 8 usd on paint

A screw caps can be use it to easy access, even could be lockable, if you choose ABS the result would be a nice black ones, I opted for white pvc for less weight and 'cause I wanted to have them painted on OD to match a military look with my green JK.

testing on the Jeep

how it looks from the rear seats

with the cargo (pet) cover (I will post later that mod) on

My plan is to make a mount and attached to the hard top screws so they can't move it at all...in fact they doesnt move it actually, because the tubes are sandwiched between the rear roll bar and a a part of the door latch...

Yes, the uses are limitless.. you can use it to storage water for washing hands or fishing equipment, tools, tow rope, bungees cord, straps, anything...

With that configuration...there are enought space for locate a bigger tube on top of the present tube... and be attached to the actual hard top screws (which I replaced with eyeled screws) so you can use them as an attaching points... I guess around a 35" long tube could be set on that space...

Wants another application? aside the roll bar, the vertical tubes...where usually the extinguisher is attached....it could be attached with velcro or clamp... and on top of the roll bar, horizontal way.... a 42" or more can be attached too..

Cheers from Cabo

Last edited by AFKedition; 07-31-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

My 2 concerns would be:

1 - if not secured, very easy for someone to just walk by and swipe one when topless
2 - interferes with having to help align the nut portion when putting hard top back on. Typically I have to scootch those one way or the other to get the bolt to line up.

All in all though, not a bad idea to chunk a few random small things in. I like the the military green look, and actually think it looks better with an imperfect painted stencil than a crisp sticker....but maybe it looks better in a pic than in person .

Kudos to you.

also - just thought of another practical use for this When wheelin, shove a couple extra water bottles in there. I get tired of having em roll around if not in a cooler. Shorter half day trips I don't typically lug a cooler around so that would be a convenient place to shove a few for reserve. Too hot out, wrap water bottle in towel in wet towel and put it in freezer the night before. Shove em in frozen like that for a day trip.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Looks pretty cool. Good idea.

I don't do poncho's or umbrella's so I'm unsure what I would store in something like that. I have a similar use for that area. I have a blanket roll stuck on each side. Blankets seem to come in handy for the things I do. Sporting events sitting on bleachers, picnics, joining friends around a camp fire, the blankets always seem to come in handy with the wife and a 5 y/o. Possibly I could store my blankets in that.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted by resharp001
My 2 concerns would be:

1 - if not secured, very easy for someone to just walk by and swipe one when topless
2 - interferes with having to help align the nut portion when putting hard top back on. Typically I have to scootch those one way or the other to get the bolt to line up.
Yes...every add turns complicated when thinking on topless

Originally Posted by resharp001
also - just thought of another practical use for this When wheelin, shove a couple extra water bottles in there.
Great Idea!
Originally Posted by Rednroll
Looks pretty cool. Good idea.
I don't do poncho's or umbrella's so I'm unsure what I would store in something like that.
The poncho LINERS are more like blankets than ponchos... they are super light weight

I always carry a pair in the cargo area, they are very useful like you commented, they usually come out at any party when the weather comes down suddenly. I modded them cutting a hole at the middle and saw a zipper so you can use them like this way:

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

i bet you could fit some beverage cans in those tubes along w/ some ICE

you could cap the end w/ a removable/threaded clean out plug (water proof cap)

Or if you have room -

Old 08-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm going to use this idea to make a tube to roll my rear soft top window up and put inside for storage. Likely add a carrying handle to it as well. I had used cardboard rug roll tubes in the past, so the PVC should be more durable and has available end caps. I just need to figure out what to do for rear side window storage since those don't roll up very well.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tubestorage 6.0 just released...

Well....at the end... I realized the poncho liners didnt fit into the 4" version...so...the 6" had to come out....

I like them better since you can have more storage available into the 6" tubes...besides that it feels like you are using more of the inused space on top of the fenders...

The 4" tubes where relocated them on top of the roll bar... I own you the pixs...

Cheers

Quick Reply: Tubestorage...PVC Tube for interior cargo space on top of wheel fenders...