Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review

Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nikbass
relays and larger wire between the relay and the switch was the plan. Not sure what gauge I'd need but I'm good about over-killing with wire.
The wiring between the relay and the switch has no bearing on the lode of the lights. This conductor could be as small as #22 awg.

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
12V/30A relay & 12 gauge wire should do the trick.
I know that some charts indicate that this logic is correct. But there aint no way in Help? that I would ever put a 30A load on a #12 conductor. ( 30A = #10 awg )

Last edited by JK-Ford; 05-27-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I know that some charts indicate that this logic is correct. But there aint no way in Help? that I would ever put a 30A load on a #12 conductor. ( 30A = #10 awg )
My bad. 12v40A?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

My bad. 12v40A?
[ ]

40A = #8 awg
Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi

[ ]

40A = #8 awg
Hmmm. I'm all mixed up. What gauge wire should I be using then? I'm routing 3 pairs of 55w lights (330 watts total) with inline fuses and plan on using a relay.

EDIT: I just realized I'm confusing the wire between the lights to the relay and the wires from the relay to the switch. Switch to relay can be pretty small, right? Lights to relay must be big enough to handle the load(lot bigger than switch to relay).

Last edited by TURTLECON; 05-27-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

Hmmm. I'm all mixed up. What gauge wire should I be using then? I'm routing 3 pairs of 55w lights (330 watts total) with inline fuses and plan on using a relay.

EDIT: I just realized I'm confusing the wire between the lights to the relay and the wires from the relay to the switch. Switch to relay can be pretty small, right? Lights to relay must be big enough to handle the load(lot bigger than switch to relay).
That sounds better. I would recomend installing individual conductors to each fixture ( 1 - black, 1 - red ). Just connect the reds to the output of the relay. And connect all of the blacks to ground. Using this method, the size of the conductors only need to be large enough to handle the curent of ( 1 ) lamp. So, for a 55w lamp, you could use a #18 conductor. The size of the conductor can get large and cumbersome to work with if you just use one conductor to supply all of your fixtures. Now, on the battery side of the relay, you mentioned that you were planing on a 28A load. So this "single conductor" needs to be #10 awg with a 30A fuse. As for the switch. The relay only pulls about 0.1A. So you see where this conductor could be very small ( but still needs to be fused ).

Last edited by JK-Ford; 05-27-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad WOL wrote a write up about this. I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, but not sure how to wire things up. I am going to take a look at the write up and take a stab at this, maybe this weekend. I will post pics if I get it to work.

Thx!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi

That sounds better. I would recomend installing individual conductors to each fixture ( 1 - black, 1 - red ). Just connect the reds to the output of the relay. And connect all of the blacks to ground. Using this method, the size of the conductors only need to be large enough to handle the curent of ( 1 ) lamp. So, for a 55w lamp, you could use a #18 conductor. The size of the conductor can get large and cumbersome to work with if you just use one conductor to supply all of your fixtures. Now, on the battery side of the relay, you mentioned that you were planing on a 28A load. So this "single conductor" needs to be #10 awg with a 30A fuse. As for the switch. The relay only pulls about 0.1A. So you see where this conductor could be very small ( but still needs to be fused ).
Thanks for all the info & help!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys do you guys have pics of how you installed these on the rear portion of the Jeep? I interested in lighting up my rears as well, I'd prefer not having to drill, metal.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Junkie

I say we all post pics after our rock light installs... Agreed?
Originally Posted by matt852
Thanks for all the help guys do you guys have pics of how you installed these on the rear portion of the Jeep? I interested in lighting up my rears as well, I'd prefer not having to drill, metal.
prowler9
Rear Lights on bumper
Was wondering if you can snap a pic of how they are mounted back there... I am gonna get a set tomorrow.. Thank
See if this works ? I decided to try these out.

Remove the old 55w

Lay out the new brackets
Old 05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Drill and tap 6/32 screws

Mount new brackets

Quick Reply: Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review