Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Winch mount W/factory bumper

Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, where is everyone mounting their control boxes? Under the hood I'm assuming? if so, where under the hood?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Tool longer than I expected
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-522220748.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	186589  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Is that just mounted on top of the frame rails?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snowbdr88
Is that just mounted on top of the frame rails?
Yeah pretty much. Sturdy, simple. Just get the right tools. I think it looks pretty clean.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

More shots
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1965877808.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	186596   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-322610735.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	186597   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-195587836.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	186598  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Looks good
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

I'd love to see a write up on that location.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually, I am wondering why everyone is either:

- putting them on top of the bumper; or,
- in the bumper upside down

I was wanting to put mine in the bumper right side up. Then trim the top of the bumper back, so you can access the winch like most after market winch bumper.

I am looking for why this is a bad idea....in case I am over looking something. That said I have a couple of months because it's way toooo hot in Texas right now to be working on the jeep for "fun"

Last edited by Mizippi; 07-27-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
Hey, where is everyone mounting their control boxes? Under the hood I'm assuming? if so, where under the hood?
Anyone have some input? Too many people have done this on this thread, so show where you put it!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Here's my walkthrough, no pics... sorry im lazy

1. First, you gotta take off the "Skidplate" which is actually worthless so lets just call it the AirDamn. this requires a Phillips head screwdriver and you need to lay under the bumper to do this. Remove all six plastic screws and place them to the side

2. It's optional to remove the other piece of plastic behind the bumper and in front of the grill, kinda has the same dimensions as a 4' 2X4, i took it off and threw it in the trash cause it looked stupid.

3. I think it's a 18mm socket you're gonna need to remove 6, yes SIX bolts, that hold the plastic bumper to the metal bumper, and the metal bumper behind that to the frame itself.

4. Before remove the bumper, be sure to disconnect the foglights if your jeep comes with those and cut the zipties that hold the wiring in place, this should give you the ability to completely remove the bumper.

5. Wiggle it around a bit and this should all come off after applying some Man Muscle, don't be afraid to break anything, it's just a jeep. If your bumper comes with the tow hooks, this will be a little more difficult but with some careful maneuvering this can still be relatively easy.

6. Now you're just looking at the front of the frame, two frame pieces sticking forward with caps on them.

7. Winch plates come manufactured differently sou you're probably gonna have to figure out some way to bolt that bad MoFo on there. This is probably gonna involve some drilling, using a grinder, and a sawband. All in All, do whatever it takes to make sure it's secure. Remember that it's gonna get covered up by the bumper when you put it back on so aesthetics are less of an issue. Whats is important is the actual functionality and structural integrity of whatever monstrosity you've managed to piece together. On a side note i would recommend picing up GRADE * bolts form Lowes or Homedepot opposed to that crap that comes with the winch and winchplate package itself.

8. Winch Mounted, Check

9. Set up the wiring, don't make the terminals, or ends of the wore, or any section of the wires for that matter, don't bend those too much, don't run them near any sharp edges, don't run them near any thing stupid like the fan belts of the fan itself.

10. Test, check. It would be dumb to have to rewire something after you've mounted the bumper again.

11. Cut the plastic bumper and maybe even the metal bumper as well and manufacture it so that it fits on your frame again, mount them both and make sure it looks pretty otherwise your girlfriend gonna notice and then wont give up about how you've messed up your pretty little ride.

Oh and remember to ziptie all your excess wires someplace smart, and reconnect the foglights. or don't, whatever floats your boat

That about sums it up, if you'd like to see how mine turned out i took a few pictures and posted them on the previous page.

DocTaco
Everything stock
LP8500 SuperWinch

Quick Reply: Winch mount W/factory bumper