Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I check them?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PatrickESJK
How do I check them?
Jack up a wheel off the ground and place a shovel or something similar under the tire and push down on the shovel and check for movements at the ball joints.
Sorry kinda hard to explain, planman has a video on YouTube
Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Just found it on youtube and how to replace them if it ever comes to it. This looks like a pain in the ass. Thank you I hope the ball joint test comes back negative.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
It's not the old man emu springs.

If you're running more than about 30 psi in your tires, that could give a harsh on road ride.

An up-and-down clunking just when you hit imperfections in the road, needs to be diagnosed like you would death wobble.

It could be the ball joints. It could be the suspension bolts were torqued improperly--with the jeep on the lift, or that the bolts weren't loosened when the new suspension was installed, etc.

Loose shock bolts would result in clunks.

Watch the 2 diagnosis videos. Then read the beginning of this thread.

I read your posts but am having trouble accepting some of the diagnoses. It was commented that the 'axle' actually is what wobbles from side to side caused by the loose track bolt or wallowed out holes in the mounting bracket. If you look at the tires when 'death wobble' is happening, you can see that it is just the wheels/tires that are wobbling, not the whole axle. The wheels/tires are pivoting on the ball joints and this is the area of wobble, not the whole axle shifting side to side. Does anyone else see it this way? Seems that it would be futile to replace a track bar or ball joints to cure this.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
I read your posts but am having trouble accepting some of the diagnoses. It was commented that the 'axle' actually is what wobbles from side to side caused by the loose track bolt or wallowed out holes in the mounting bracket. If you look at the tires when 'death wobble' is happening, you can see that it is just the wheels/tires that are wobbling, not the whole axle. The wheels/tires are pivoting on the ball joints and this is the area of wobble, not the whole axle shifting side to side. Does anyone else see it this way? Seems that it would be futile to replace a track bar or ball joints to cure this.
In the first post, I included a link to a YouTube video of Death Wobble that has metal clanking from the axle shifting side to side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY&feature=player_embedded
If you perform the tests I show in this next video, you should find the source(s), and if not, you can do the steps in post #2. It doesn't take very long. There is no reason to leave it to guesswork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ii81V7XYr-k
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
In the first post, I included a link to a YouTube video of Death Wobble that has metal clanking from the axle shifting side to side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY&feature=player_embedded
If you perform the tests I show in this next video, you should find the source(s), and if not, you can do the steps in post #2. It doesn't take very long. There is no reason to leave it to guesswork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ii81V7XYr-k
I'll give it a try. Thanks. My track bar and holes look good. I'll just start the checklist and do one thing at a time.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, now I'm happy. I followed the checklist and everything checked out 'except' the front control arm bubber bushings. The bottom ones had about 1/4 inch of play in them and the tops were loose, but not as bad. I took them off and replaced them with the silicone bushings (Rubicon Express arms) and took it for a test ride. What a difference! Tight steering now and no wandering. I could not duplicate the shaking that I'd experienced previously even when I found some rough roads and potholes that I purposefully hit. It's fixed! Thanks Planman for giving me the hope that I could do it if I followed a set method. I was ready to just start replacing stuff; ball joints, trackbar, tie rod ends, but that would have been expensive. Since the silicone bushings were free from 4WheelParts (warranty item) it cost me nothing more that 3 hours of my time.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Ok, now I'm happy. I followed the checklist and everything checked out 'except' the front control arm bubber bushings. The bottom ones had about 1/4 inch of play in them and the tops were loose, but not as bad. I took them off and replaced them with the silicone bushings (Rubicon Express arms) and took it for a test ride. What a difference! Tight steering now and no wandering. I could not duplicate the shaking that I'd experienced previously even when I found some rough roads and potholes that I purposefully hit. It's fixed! Thanks Planman for giving me the hope that I could do it if I followed a set method. I was ready to just start replacing stuff; ball joints, trackbar, tie rod ends, but that would have been expensive. Since the silicone bushings were free from 4WheelParts (warranty item) it cost me nothing more that 3 hours of my time.
You are welcome. Awesome report!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default Is the isolator mount a possible problem?

I have read your very well written diagnosis on the wobble problems. I have had this for nearly two years chasing the problem with no success. A buddy came over and reproduced the feel of the wobble by moving the transfer case with his foot. He feels that the mount is bad which allows the wobble. I tend to agree because of the look and feel of the vehicle when he jostled it. Is there supposed to be 2-3 inches of movement in the transfer case?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default planman

"DIAGNOSIS CHECKLISTAssuming your tire psi is 28-30, your tires/wheels have been balanced and rotated to make sure the wobble doesn't move with the rotation, here would be my order:"

I think he said it right there. this happened to me and It was bad tires. Was neglecting them. The shiimmy led to ball joint replacement later. So rotate your tires!

Quick Reply: Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles