Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Old 09-18-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planman I Can't thank you enough for your help and guidance on my situation. I definitely owe you a case or 2 of beer for putting up with my noobish questions. I would have liked to fixed this by myself but it's totally kicked my ass. I'm taking it in to a shop I trust tomorrow to have the axle shaft seal fixed and aligned and he said he would look over the front end. Again thank you

Sent via digital pigeons
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are very welcome.

However, jackedupJK, the bushings being twisted/binding/preloaded to the wrong ride height may only be one source of your problem, and the shop techs might not know the principles I explain at the beginning of this thread.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
You guys are very welcome.

However, jackedupJK, the bushings being twisted/binding/preloaded to the wrong ride height may only be one source of your problem, and the shop techs might not know the principles I explain at the beginning of this thread.
I can only hope their tech is as knowledgeable as you are. If they don't get it I'm sure I'll be back to torture you with more of my questions. Hahaha

Sent via digital pigeons
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

Well planman I was wrong about this shop. They had my jeep from 830 in the morning till damn near 5 this afternoon only to look it over and tell me theirs nothing wrong with it and that everything looked good and that's the way a lifted jeep on mudders is going to handle. Didn't fix the leaky axle shaft but told me that it would be about a 4 hour job and cost me about 350 wtf absolute clowns in this town. On a better note I was able to find a local club in my area and joined their group on Facebook and asked for some help in finding a shop to look at it. Within minutes I had a couple of replies from some awesome members who said not to take it to a shop and bring it to them and they would help me diagnose my problem and help me in fixing it. Just thought I would give you a little update on this adventure I'm on.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Yeaaah no more wobble. My steering wheel was off around an eight of a inch so we adjusted the tie rod to bring it back to center and give me some negative toe back in my tires. Also found one of my lower control arm bushings and a shock bushing that had a little play in them. Going to look into getting some new shocks and get my control arm bushing replaced.

Sent via digital pigeons
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone ever removed the passenger side end of the stock tie rod? I heard it can be done but it is a real pain.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalvette
Has anyone ever removed the passenger side end of the stock tie rod? I heard it can be done but it is a real pain.
You can find take-off tie rods for cheap from people who upgraded.

You can buy the entire passenger side for $80 new--Crown replacement.

You can upgrade to a Synergy chromoly tie rod for $325.

You can build a HD one for about $135 using materials from Ruffstuff Specialties.

The installs are pretty easy.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman

You can find take-off tie rods for cheap from people who upgraded.

You can buy the entire passenger side for $80 new--Crown replacement.

You can upgrade to a Synergy chromoly tie rod for $325.

You can build a HD one for about $135 using materials from Ruffstuff Specialties.

The installs are pretty easy.
I bit the bullet and went with the synergy. But now the stock steering stabilizer will not bolt up to the synergy bracket. I read I can change out the bushings on the stabilizer and it will work. Now I just need to find the bushing.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a shimmy (steering wheel would move back and forth) between 40 and 50 mph...after 50, no more shimmy. However, when I hit a bump, I could really feel it in the steering wheel. Installed new Synergy ball joints, and no more shimmy! Front end also feels more solid.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoBig
Had a shimmy (steering wheel would move back and forth) between 40 and 50 mph...after 50, no more shimmy. However, when I hit a bump, I could really feel it in the steering wheel. Installed new Synergy ball joints, and no more shimmy! Front end also feels more solid.
How many miles on your rig?

Quick Reply: Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles