Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write-Up: Removing Backseat (2dr)

Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Write-Up: Removing Backseat (2dr)

No, I'm not kidding... The owner's book gives a pretty good description of how to remove the backseat in a 2 door, but seeing as I just did this myself all of 5 minutes ago (and found a shortcut) figured I'd share with the group.

I have the subwoofer, which the Jeep manual says to remove and disconnect prior to removing the backseat... don't bother (if you're strong enough to handle the seat by yourself, this is a total waste of time).

OK - in step-by-step form:

1) Open the tailgate and rear hatch (if you have the soft top on, tie the rear windshield panel out of your way). Climb into the "cargo" area.

2) Use the "fold-and-tumble" feature (you may need to adjust your front seats to provide enough clearance for the backseat to pivot forward properly - this is important).

3) Squeeze the pressure bar at each side, where the folded seat attaches to the cargo floor - you don't have to squeeze particularly hard, but you WILL need to squeeze to disengage the floor clasps from their mounts.

4) Lift FIRMLY upwards and backwards while squeezing the pressure bar - the goal here is to disengage the clasps from the floor mounts. Not very heavy, just awkward to do (go ahead and get mad at it, then give it a good tug - worked for me).

5) CAREFULLY pull the folded, disconnected backseat backwards toward the rear opening - if you have the subwoofer and left it installed, exercise care not to smash it, etc.

6) Gently stand the backseat on its end behind your Jeep - climb out.

7) Store the rear seat wherever, and enjoy the newfound rear visibility, cargo space, and extra 1/3 mpg!

How much of a mechanical rookie do you have to be to get a profound feeling of satisfaction from doing this all on your own? (That's me!)

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 03-09-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

I did the same thing , and did it just leaning into the cargo area never touching the rear window...........very simple..........
Old 11-13-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default Removing back seat on JK

Thanks, Just did this to my new 2011 Rubi... It did not come with any manuals... Just a window sticker and a tire warranty booklet...

Did a serch and wa'lah... Thanks again...

Removing back seat on 2 door JK
Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Same thing here... & didn't have to remove the factory subwoofer either.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any pics of what the "seatless" rear on a 2-door looks like? I'm pondering taking mine out since it's more of a hindrance to me anyway, but wanted to see the final product before I do it myself.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any pics of what the "seatless" rear on a 2-door looks like? I'm pondering taking mine out since it's more of a hindrance to me anyway, but wanted to see the final product before I do it myself.
Dude.. do yourself a favor and just take it out.. it takes 2 minutes of our day and if you don't like it.. 2 minutes more to put it back in.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
Dude.. do yourself a favor and just take it out.. it takes 2 minutes of our day and if you don't like it.. 2 minutes more to put it back in.
True...I'm just lazy though and at work right now.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nickit1981

I agree. It doesn't take long. But if it helps you visualize at all it's just a black square... Nothing fancy, but I do like the way it looks
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is room to turn the seat, after you disengage the seat turn it toward the gate, driver side swing to gate. I will never hit the sub. Don't even have to climb in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg
Views:	28635
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	159664  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJSJK50
There is room to turn the seat, after you disengage the seat turn it toward the gate, driver side swing to gate. I will never hit the sub. Don't even have to climb in.
Thought taking the sub-woofer out was overkill. The first week I had the Jeep removed the seat same way, just leaned in and turned it to get it out - wonder if the guy who wrote the manual ever tried it without removing the woofer (bet not).

Quick Reply: Write-Up: Removing Backseat (2dr)