Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

XM converter radio (roadie)

Old 05-04-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XM converter radio (roadie)

Here's an economical XM setup, runs thru the factory radio. Purchased the Roady converter at WalMart, around $28.00 or so. I removed the radio/heater control surround bezel and the lower front trim panel. I drilled and installed the converter bracket to the lower front trim panel. I also drilled a 1/2'' hole for running wiring to the converter and radio thru this same front panel. The left side power point I removed from the trim panel and plugged the converter into it. This one powers off the key. I wrapped it all with tape and hid the whole shebang behind the front panel. I then reinstalled the flip-open cover back to the trim bezel with double-side tape. The XM antennae I mounted on the center roll bar directly over the front dome lite. It clears both tops. The wires I ran behind trim panels and the lower edge of the dash and thru the hole in the lower front trim panel and into the converter. The out lead to the radio auxillary input I ran up the back side of the radio/heater control trim bezel and had it come out at the lower rt corner of the radio. I purchased a 90 degree adapter for this lead at Radio Shack so the lead would lay flat. Works great with the factory radio setup. Turn on the XM and hit the ''aux'' button on the factory radio and then control it all with the factory radio control knobs....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep mods 007.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	23572   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep mods 008.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	23573  

Quick Reply: XM converter radio (roadie)