Notices
JL Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JL Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice From the Jeepers

Old 03-31-2020, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice From the Jeepers

Hello All, currently I have a 17 Cherokee Trailhawk and have been looking at new and used Wranglers. I live just north of Green Bay, WI. In my research, I've come up with some questions that I hope you all can help me with. And, some of these questions may answer themselves.

1. WI Driving: 70-75 mph Interstate 2 or 4 door? My Jeep is always inside the garage except when the weather's nice then it's outside.
2. WI Snow: 2 or 4 doors?
3. Weaving in and out of traffic? In WI we have a bunch of DA's that sit in the left lane and won't move over. So, move to the right lane get in front of them.
4. Jeep doesn't do any off-roading, but I've heard about this Death Wobble Lawsuit. Should I be worried?
5. I'm single with a 16-yr old. 2 or 4 doors?
6. Sometimes pull a Discovery Rover ET trailer (12') that at the most have 1,000 lbs-ish. Get a Jeep with the hitch/tow package or no biggy just put it on yourself?
7. Lease or Buy?
8. If you went used. Are there years to avoid, amount of miles, miles / how old, etc.
9. Manual or Power Windows? I have power and like the access to putting passenger/rear windows down just below window deflectors.
10. Rust. I've looked at some Wranglers and noticed the rust/pitting/etc. on the hinges and how some owners removed the hinges, sandblasted/sanded, primed, painted, etc. I know "white" shows it easily "the one I looked at." Should I worry about this? Since I'm in WI we have that crap called "salt :-)". Is it just a matter of making sure they're clean especially during the winter months?
11. 4 or 6 cyl?
12. Sidesteps?
13. Colors to stay away from? I'm the guy who likes orange, yellow, purple, red, blue, silver; not a black or white "rust pops out".

I know this is a lot and hopefully, you all can make it through it. :-)
Old 03-31-2020, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Questions you have that may be JL specific will probably be better answered on the JL forums as there aren't many hanging around this sub-forum on our more JK specific site. Not to say there aren't JL owners here, but.....

I'd say this about DW. It's going to be an issue on about any solid axle vehicle. Maintain your steering system, upgrade with quality components and you should be good. Bad ball joints, under torqued bolts, and bad track bar joints are 90+% of the cause of DW. When people put bigger/heavier tires on vehicles, they're adding a lot more stress to all components than the factory units were designed to accommodate. This is primarily about just using some common sense when modifying a vehicle. Even an older stock vehicle with worn components can become susceptible to DW. That's just how it is. No, you should not be worried about any DW lawsuit.

2dr vs 4dr is going to be a personal preference. I have a 4dr JK. Nobody is ever in my back seat, but it's nice to have the room for various purposes. Can't beat the classic 2dr look though. The only win/win is to own both

I'd pony up for whatever package has the power windows in it. IDK how anyone lives without power windows.

If you look at used that are a few years old, I'd tell you the JK was a solid vehicle, and the 3.6L is pretty reliable.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the 4 door. It is better especially while you have a kid whos is 16. He is probably going to want to drive it in the summers with his friends around the block.
Death wobble? It happened to me once, and then it went away. Idk why...
I did upgrade my steering an suspension system, and I did not experience anything.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't wait any longer, so I bought this today. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
Old 04-02-2020, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Pillsbury
I couldn't wait any longer, so I bought this today. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
Congrats!! It's a nice color too.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks good!

Quick Reply: Advice From the Jeepers