Notices
Last Frontier If you live in Alaska and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

My gig

Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My gig

I posted this in the electronics area but maybe someone here has tried something.

when it is below -15 the Mygig will not start up. short of a garage or milk-house heater any ideas? I was throwing the idea of a small pad heater but the smallest I have found is 60 watts. that might cook that radio.

Ideas?

Burt
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that problem but mine looses all my downloaded cd's all the time , not my trails but only the music?????
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

I'm no help...I just have the basic radio/CD package.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Heng'n out
I posted this in the electronics area but maybe someone here has tried something.

when it is below -15 the Mygig will not start up. short of a garage or milk-house heater any ideas? I was throwing the idea of a small pad heater but the smallest I have found is 60 watts. that might cook that radio.

Ideas?

Burt
Are you talking about those small electric rubber pads that you sylicone onto your oil pan? I actually thought they went down lower than that.... I've actually been thinking about wiring one of those real small 110 heaters so when my timer turns on the freeze plug heater a couple hours before I leave in the morning, it would turn on the little heater as well. I'm sure it would be nice and toasty in the JK when it was time to go. That would probably also be enough time to warm up your MYgig...??? Just a thought anyway....
Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

I was referring to those orange pad heaters. They get down right hot and I don't think you would want to get the radio that hot.

I like the timer idea.

I had a relay idea that included aftermarket seat heaters and a 12vdc regulated power supply. have the power supply provide 12vdc to the normally closed side of the relay and battery to the normally open. have the coil connected to the ignition. when the jeep is off and plugged in to the 110v my seats will warm. turn the key on and the could continue to warm with the battery. throw in your timer idea and I got something. I just don't think that the seat heat will actually warm the cab enough for the radio.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi

I was referring to those orange pad heaters. They get down right hot and I don't think you would want to get the radio that hot.

I like the timer idea.

I had a relay idea that included aftermarket seat heaters and a 12vdc regulated power supply. have the power supply provide 12vdc to the normally closed side of the relay and battery to the normally open. have the coil connected to the ignition. when the jeep is off and plugged in to the 110v my seats will warm. turn the key on and the could continue to warm with the battery. throw in your timer idea and I got something. I just don't think that the seat heat will actually warm the cab enough for the radio.
yeah, I'm sure the seats will just absorb all the heat and not let much, if any, heat radiate into the cab. Especially in the cold you get up there....
Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
yeah, I'm sure the seats will just absorb all the heat and not let much, if any, heat radiate into the cab. Especially in the cold you get up there....
It takes so dam long for the coffee to warm my butt up in the morning. The seat heat is so much faster
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi

It takes so dam long for the coffee to warm my butt up in the morning. The seat heat is so much faster
Oh I'm sure those seat heaters are nice.....
Old 03-05-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi

Well my friend what did you end up doing? And what do you think about your first winter up here so far....???

Quick Reply: My gig