Notices
Last Frontier If you live in Alaska and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Planning an Alaska trip

Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning an Alaska trip

Hi guys!

So I've lived in Whitehorse for 13 yrs now (14 summers?), and have been up here every summer for 15 yrs before that. And while I've been to Skagway a bunch of times, I've never been anywhere else in Alaska (well Haines when I was really young, but that doesn't count).

SOOO for my vacation this summer, instead of heading down to the Vancouver area, I'm looking to spend a couple of weeks poking about Alaska (likely 1.5-2.5 weeks). I'll be in my JK (2012 JKUR 33s, 3.5" lift, bumpers f/r winch) with my m101 trailer and RTT. Will be camping either in prepared sites (KOA?) or anywhere that's free lol.

Having never been there... am looking for suggestions on places to hit up. I like history (so old places) and places with views (that I can drive to - bum knee & out of shape). After watching ExpiditionOverland's Youtube video's of their trip from the US up to Alaska and whatnot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL51gIdyUeY), I have a couple places I wouldn't mind checking out. FYI that link takes you to their youtube channel. They've done a great job editing the video - mind you most of you guys live there - so it might not be quite as exciting lol.

Some of the things on my list so far. I figure I'll be up there sometime in early/mid July.

Independence Mine and Kennecott Mining Camp (looks like an interesting place, and will be on vacation so why not?)
Different hot springs (Chenna, Manley, etc)
Fairbanks
Anchorage
Top of the world highway (likely on the return trip)
Probably head down to Homer (just because?)

I'd also like to try and do a wheeling trip or something if possible. SOoo... any suggestions for someone who's never been there before?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I live in anchorage. Camp most weekends at knick river, which you would have seen on those videos. When you're near anchorage you can definitely camp with us. We do some fun tight little trails there regularly!

Quick Reply: Planning an Alaska trip