Notices
Last Frontier If you live in Alaska and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Where to go, where to go.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a link to some good info for the cities:

http://www.citytowninfo.com/places/alaska

Here's a map that shows cities and you can see where they are in relation to Anchorage and the water.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/akdiv/images/alaska_map.jpg

Sounds like you got your priorities straight and a supportive family. I would definitely suggest finishing your 4 year degree before coming up here. I'll have to do some research about pilot's license up here but a few things I do know is you're going to need seat time. It's not like walking into the State building and saying I want a pilot's license. Ask at your local college or nearby airport about getting a pilot's license. Just cause you get one in FL doesn't mean you can't transfer it to AK when you get here.

Now, for gee whiz bullshit info...I heard, from the grapevine, you don't necessarily need a pilot's license to fly in AK. Now is someone going to rent you an airplane without a license? Probably not. If someone has enough cash to buy their own airplane can they fly it? yes I'll leave it at that.

No pics of wheeling the Jeep btw...this will be my first summer up here but my wife knows all the trails and she's going to show me after Breakup. (not breakup with me, but Breakup refering to when the ice and shit melts)
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Haha, I just applied for the Wildlife technician job up here in fairbanks.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zacsquatch
Haha, I just applied for the Wildlife technician job up here in fairbanks.
Hey man! Really? thats kool! What exactly is the wildlife technichians job? Is there anything you could tell me about alaska or working for the state? I didnt know you posted anything or i would have checked earlier, i was just coming to get that link from falcon again :P Im still trying to decide what citie i want to live in....
Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

I did four years up there (military) just outside of Fairbanks. Fairbanks or North Pole would be my suggestion. Enough there, but not a lot and you can get away from things easily if you want. Salcha is also a possibility... just slightly south. Anchorage is too large for what you seem to want.

Plenty of wildlife... plenty of remoteness. I loved the experience I got, but disliked the remoteness. Getting anything shipped to AK is expensive cause it has to be shipped 2-Day air. (Life kit on my old XJ was $419... shipping to AK = $200)

If you do head up there, check out Arctic Offroad (Fairbanks) and Alaska Extreme (Anchorage) for 4-wheeling clubs.

Good luck! PM me if you have more questions.

Quick Reply: Where to go, where to go.