Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Advice request about Long Ranch.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice request about Long Ranch.

1st. Should I go fenderless, or will I be alright?

2nd. Long's website says they encourage swimming in the river, did it look like a swimmer friendly river?

3rd. is there a particular location that is optimum for a camp site?

4th. how far is the closest gas station?

5th. Is there anything I missed?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

1) Fenders may see a few scratches, but nothing much. Main trails were plenty wide, and I'd be more concerned with watching branches with a soft top than with fenders. There are smaller, less traveled trails that get a little tighter...but the trees are usually cedar, juniper, or similar.

2) Was too cold to swim when we were there. Not sure how you get down to the water from Long's property, but you will see other access points. The whole river looked only a few feet deep at best while I was there, so would be a good place to wade around and cool off.

3) When you check in, he can point you to a couple places to camp. The 3 I saw looked fine...it was just the people you're with or the group that claims it first. If you camp at the top by the house, be prepared for noise all night, but also a good place to see everything and everyone that comes thru.

4) Gas station...probably 15~30 miles ?

5) Not real close to much shopping or quick supplies, so take everything including TP.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Clint
4) Gas station...probably 15~30 miles ?

5) Not real close to much shopping or quick supplies, so take everything including TP.
Gas and services are available in Kingsland which about 6 miles east of Long's Ranch. Its an easy 10 minutes. Llano is larger and is about 16 miles away and to the west.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Theres a couple of us heading out there Saturday from bastrop. hope to see y'all there. I'll be in a red rock with a pure jeep front and winch and Stu will be in a Blue one with shrock works and stickers on the sides, etc.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kerryp
Theres a couple of us heading out there Saturday from bastrop. hope to see y'all there. I'll be in a red rock with a pure jeep front and winch and Stu will be in a Blue one with shrock works and stickers on the sides, etc.

Wish we would have known some JK's were heading up to Long's this weekend. We've got a good size group of JK's from San Antonio heading to Boulder Creek Offroad Park in Marble Falls.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Awesome, maybe we could hook up for a trail run. The group I am going with are really nice guys, and wont mind a few tag alongs. If ya want to wheel with us just give me a buzz on the cell (817)774-6543

Old 05-21-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Duke
Wish we would have known some JK's were heading up to Long's this weekend. We've got a good size group of JK's from San Antonio heading to Boulder Creek Offroad Park in Marble Falls.
Thats cool, boulder creek looks like an awesome place to wheel. That is on the top of my "to wheel" list. Maybe next time.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Camping looked great down by the river behind the main house. I wouldn't worry about your fenders out there. As far as swimming...didn't look like it could happen as it was very shallow where we were.

Last point.......go straight to the creek to wheel and stay there! The best wheeling was in the creek!!!! There were a couple of other good spots, but mainly we always ended up back in the creek.

Have a good time, we'll be in Gilmer for the LSJC Memorial Day New Guys Run.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

We got to get together sometimes. I met Stu at Long's back in March. I live in Taylor. You gonna wheel any Sunday? I have to work Sat, but I could come out later that afternoon.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

07 Rube - I won't be able to wheel Sunday, sorry. The plan is to be at Longs all day, if you do go out, you can call me first to make sure we are still there (number is at the bottom of this post) .......If not Saturday we'll definately wheel some time.

Duke - Sorry we can't hook up, this was kind of a last minute thing for us and I just happened to see the post here. Let us know how you like Boulder Creek. I was out there last weekend, but on ATVs. I did get to see a little bit of the trails and what I saw looked interesting. Bee Alley (I think that was the name) was particularly interesting. It was a creek run with tall walls on either side. once your in, your in....

Rusty and 07Rube (and I guess anyone else that ever needs to get me), my cell is 512-581-8683

The plan is to leave here around 6AM Sat, so we should be there around 8:30 or so (gotta stop at starbux and get me some coffee, etc ) and I guess we'll see y'all out there.

Quick Reply: Advice request about Long Ranch.