Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Barnwell Mountain: Nov. 11-13

Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barnwell Mountain: Nov. 11-13

Ok, so the Hidden Falls trip is over, which means it's time to plan another one. Looking at Nov. 11th through the 13th.

For those who don't know Gilmer, it's about two hours east of DFW. Lot's of room to play and tons of red dirt.

http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/index.php

This is a TMTC park, so if you're a member, you will get significant discounts on daily fees. I don't plan on camping this time. There are a couple of hotels in Gilmer and the rates are cheap.

So throw in your comments and we'll get the ball rolling...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I may be up for us. I already live out here. Let me check the schedule.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Penciled it in.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

As of right now, I'm in.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

let me see how things are going at work, put me down as a maybe!

would like to wheel with yall again
Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

count me in unless something crazy happens at work and i cant get off..im from gilmer so it would be nice to get back for a few days
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Count me in as long as I can get the lift in and installed in time. Gilmer would be a good spot to break it in.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

Ok as of now I can say yes, I'll ask for that friday off to make it a three day weekend for me. Hopefully between now and then I don't damage my jeep again.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmedic308
count me in unless something crazy happens at work and i cant get off..im from gilmer so it would be nice to get back for a few days

Would love some input from you, if you have it. I looked online and found two hotels in town. Are there any others, or is that it? Also, any tips on restaurants or nightlife would be appreciated, as well. Since the park closes at 6, some kind of evening entertainment would be great.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler
Would love some input from you, if you have it. I looked online and found two hotels in town. Are there any others, or is that it? Also, any tips on restaurants or nightlife would be appreciated, as well. Since the park closes at 6, some kind of evening entertainment would be great.
I have been to Gilmer several times it is a great place to wheel, has something for every level. The park is an old iron ore strip mine, so lots of hill climbs and lots of off camber, I have hit the trails about 9 am and run hard until 5 pm and still did not do everything there in one day. The GILMER GRIT is what I call it, is red dirt that gives good traction but being an old iron ore mine it sticks with you a while. For about three months when you turn on your heater or a/c you will get a little taste of it blowing out the vents. The park does not shut down at 6 you can wheel until 10pm just no one at the office. As far as I remember there are only two motels in town, I have not stayed in either one but people report they are both about the same not fancy but clean. Night life not going to be much in Gilmer, you have Taco Bell/KFC, Exxon, and Walmart, LOL. I'm sure there is more in the town, I have always camped and not gone into town very often. If you run into Todd (txskydiver), or Barney (blackbetty), they will be in WELL BUILT CJ's, tell them Don said Hi, they are on the park BOD and run the place.

Quick Reply: Barnwell Mountain: Nov. 11-13