Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Cabrito

Old 12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabrito

Some may remember from the Llano trip, that I was going to bring a goat to bar-b-que. As it turned out, nobody had a pit that would do a young goat.

Now, I get home and get some good news.......one of the momma goats just had a new baby. For some more good news.....another of the momma goats just today had THREE babies!!! 3.....

So now, there are 4 little bar-b-quers waddling around in the goat pen.....

Whens the next Jeep trip again???..........
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

todd, it wasnt that we dident have a pit...............i did, it was that most of us didnt want to eat a poor little baby goat

but do ya want to sell one ( alive)?????

Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

You don't cook cabrito in a pit! At least that's not how my Grandpa used to cook it. He dug a hole in the ground, built a fire with a lot of coals, put sheet metal over the coals, seasoned and wraped the cabrito in foil and placed it on the sheet metal, placed another piece of sheet metal over the cabrito and buried it for ? hours. That's all I can remember. Maybe someone can do a write uo with some pics.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

LOLOLOL, that is classic.....

You get attached to lunch if you bottle feed it.....

Definately going to have to sell a few, as four baby goats in day is waay to many. And we checked, everyone one of them is a billy.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tovar_jk
You don't cook cabrito in a pit! At least that's not how my Grandpa used to cook it. He dug a hole in the ground, built a fire with a lot of coals, put sheet metal over the coals, seasoned and wraped the cabrito in foil and placed it on the sheet metal, placed another piece of sheet metal over the cabrito and buried it for ? hours. That's all I can remember. Maybe someone can do a write uo with some pics.
My grandfather used to do it the same way for Barbacoa. Here's how I remember it. They would dig a hole big enough to put a basin that would easily fit 50 lbs of meat. They would throw mesquite into the hole (about 3 feet deep) and start a huge fire. Once the fire had died down they would put the container in to the hot ambers. Then the container was covered with banana tree leaves and agave plant on top. They would cover it all with burlap and put a piece of sheet metal on top. On top of that would go huge chunks of mesquite or whatever other wood was around. This whole process would start in the evening and it would be ready the next morning. I'm sure I've left a few details out, but I didn't want to write a whole essay.

I remember the meat falling off the bones...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TBEASLEY
todd, it wasnt that we dident have a pit...............i did, it was that most of us didnt want to eat a poor little baby goat

but do ya want to sell one ( alive)?????

are you going soft on us? Do I need to call peta and let them know they have a new supporter? Come on man, Maverick1701 and I eat baby kittens for breadkfast!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

ha ha !!!!

P.E.T.A.

PEOPLE
EATING
TASTY
ANIMALS