Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

I'm gonna have to try this out.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm gonna have to try this out.

I had Googled TX-87 to see about hurricane damage and found this. I was still in the Navy in the 80's and didn't hear about what damage the hurricanes did in that area. I thought Rita had done it. Apparently 87 was already closed. Can a person do it in a Jeep?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07rube
I had Googled TX-87 to see about hurricane damage and found this. I was still in the Navy in the 80's and didn't hear about what damage the hurricanes did in that area. I thought Rita had done it. Apparently 87 was already closed. Can a person do it in a Jeep?
Hurricane Alicia did it in '83. I go down there almost every Sunday.
You can drive from High Island all the way to Port Arthur on the beach, but you have to be careful....there are areas of DEEP MUD, but its camo'd up with sand...so it looks like sand until you drive on it, then your Jeep can't be found anymore..
Its also where the nude beach is about 5 miles down. Which is not a bad thing if you pass the boy/girl area...but past the big clump of cedar trees its the boy/boy area............
Other than that, its a great drive, some of the best beach combing in the state and the fishing is GREAT......
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock

I didn't read the entire link because it is so long (5 pages)... Are you sure you posted the correct link- the link goes to
Crab Man

Meet Doug Sartin, onetime heir apparent to a Texas barbecued crab dynasty
lLook on page 2, just past the ads in the middle column; you'll see mention of 87.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Ah, it wasn't even what I was searching for, exactly; and I found it fascinating. I didn't realize Texas had blue crabs and that they were such good eating.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Took some photos this morning, thought they might be interesting:

This is where 124 & 87 meet just south of High Island. Just drive around the barricades and you are on the beach.

This is about 1/2 mile east of the barricades. Not to bad here....

About 2 miles in, the Wildlife Refuge is on the left.

A little furhter east, it looks like this. Not to bad, but you can see how high the tide gets. Not the place to be when the water starts to rise.....
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07rube
You can still drive it in a Jeep, the road is long gone, there is a sandy road, some mild narrow dune between the road and beach, what's fun is the sandy, clay, wet, rocky beach side, gets a little wicked but fun.

This restaurant is is one of the un-healthiest places you'll ever eat. They used to be good years ago where they started @Sabine Pass, few years later they opened the Beaumont location. This is when the nastiness started, once we ate there and they had fried blow-flies in the crabs batter, that was 15 years ago, then about 3 yrs ago we ate there and they had big wood roaches walking along the floor in the dining area, we up and left and told them before we ordered they needed to get their act together, last time I've been, will never return to that craphole restaurant.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the pics, guys. I didn't realize you could find mud on a sandy beach.

Too bad about the restaurant. It sounded really good in the article. I'm bummed.

Quick Reply: I'm gonna have to try this out.