Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Lookin' for a softer shock

Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin' for a softer shock

I own a 4 dr. rubi and I am currently running a 4 in. procomp lift with the 9000 (gas shock) series shocks (11,000 miles on shocks n lift). I hate the ride!!! I've never had issues with such a stiff ride as i do with this one. It is way to stiff and I am looking for a smoother ride. Searched the forums and the net and everyone has conflicting experiences.
I checked with a local shop here in town and they said for a smoother ride i need to go with a hydro shock and not a gas shock...i go to another shop and the guy wants to sell me 9000 (gas) series shocks because he said they are smoother than the 3000 (hydro) series...go figure! All over the net and forums people hate the pro comp 3000 so that is a no brainer-stayin away!
I am also wondering how much does a tire play into the smooth ride. I have the bf goodrich (load d) 35 in tires. they are a 3 ply tire as opposed to the 2 ply that come on the stock rubi. Hmm...
With that said, what has your experience been with shocks or maybe even tires? I want a really smooth ride. And would like to hear from people who have actually had experience with shocks and not second hand stories. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default The Answer!!!

Ok after doing some research and talking to local jeepers here in town, i've come to my final decision. Since I have a procomp lift i will stick to the procomp shocks as well. I will try and see if everything i've been told is true. i am taking a chance on the mx6 shocks. I will post my experience after breaking in the shocks.
At the moment i have procomp 9000 series shocks.
Experience:
the ride is great on the highway and i do not have any complaints at all.
City ride is a total different monster. I am constantly trying to avoid bumps and small pot holes on the road. The ride is very choppy and it seems to be choppier for the rear passangers. I am aware that i will never get the ride i had with my oem shocks. But, i am also aware that i can get a better ride with a much better shock.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have to say, I'm kinda surprised to hear that. I love my 9000's and find that they are a much softer ride then most that I've had. They aren't the best off road but I enjoy being comfortable on the ride to the trail too.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

All the Procomp suspensions i've been in contact with were stiff as hell. My girls YJ for example (i know its a leaf pack and rides different) Jumps when it hits a pot hole and after 30 min driving in it your tired and wornout. It has the 4" procomp HD kit and shocks.

Bilsteins or OME

And your D rated tires have alot to do with a harsh ride, air down some...experiment.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Last time I talked to you, you had like 45 psi in the on those bfg's km2's ....did you air down? I ran like 30-32 psi on 35's..... if I can remember correctly. Try it
I went with bilsteins, and love them. I currently run like 26-28 psi on my 37's, if I have more than 30 I know it right away.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default pro comp 9000 shocks

i have a 4 inch procomp lift stage 2 with 9000 shocks.
Today i replaced the shocks with ome lts since i found the ride way to harsh.
What a difference! The pro comp es 9000 shocks are terrible, and ome lts have my jeep ride like a different vehicle...
Much better shock and i'm happy with the swap
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

@915rubicon: i did lower tire pressure to 34 psi and my ride did not change much...the loss of mpg's did not equate the confort so i went back up to 40 psi. I think once i change the shocks i will feel a great difference...at least that's what i am hoping.
Are you going on the trail set for feb. 19?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

@ rafal: finally someone who shares the same problem as i do. hey bud you give me hope! i plan to change those shocks pretty soon and i hope to be sharing the same results as you!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

I am running the rancho 9000 series and I like them. They have 9 different settings that u can adjust to your liking. I run mine on the softest setting. Bustabizz here on the forum has a deal still goin on, I think, for buy 3 get one free. I'm considering these for my girlfriends xj.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

I agree on the rancho shocks as well. i had these shocks on my blazer and the ride was great. i just don't like to make the comparison btwn a jeep ride and a blazer ride. they are two totally different vehicles.
I also heard the bilstein shocks were an an excellent choice by many on this forum. we'll see what happens...story to be continued.

Quick Reply: Lookin' for a softer shock