Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Offroad areas around Houston

Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroad areas around Houston

Hey guys, I'm possibly gonna be in the Houston area for a month... Maybe even longer, depending on if the Houston area fits me after 10 years in the navy(I'm from the Pasadena/deer park area originally). But if I make the trip, I've GOTTA get my rig off pavement for at least a few of those days.. Are there any good places to go offroading?? (rock crawling preferred, although anything is better than nothing!)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SoCalGSXR
Hey guys, I'm possibly gonna be in the Houston area for a month... Maybe even longer, depending on if the Houston area fits me after 10 years in the navy(I'm from the Pasadena/deer park area originally). But if I make the trip, I've GOTTA get my rig off pavement for at least a few of those days.. Are there any good places to go offroading?? (rock crawling preferred, although anything is better than nothing!)
Not a whole lot "near" Houston for rocks. The few that are near Houston is more mud and wooded trails than anything. Hidden Falls just west of Austin, (2-3 hr drive) is where most of us go for that terrain and most of us prefer it over mud. There are several others "near". I think there is even a sticky in this forum that shows the Texas spots.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Texas offroad ranch near Conroe has a rock garden to play in( havent been there yet) then there is sugar hill an Brazos Bend offroad park( a great places for family ) have mostly mud
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Texas Off Road Ranch is pretty fun, though the rock area is mosly a buggy area. their are some rocks to play on though. don't expect Big Bear or Johnson Valley type trails at this place though. Hidden falls seems to be a pretty fun place all though I have yet to make that road trip. Let us all know when you get out here, ill go out and have a beer or something with ya. I am an up- rooted So Cal jeeper as well
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info guys. Most of the stuff I've seen so far has been rather scarce.. To the point I'm really having problems finding any sort of "real" offroad areas.. Are most areas in Houston/Texas pay-to-play type or something?

Originally Posted by saravonshep
Texas Off Road Ranch is pretty fun, though the rock area is mosly a buggy area. their are some rocks to play on though. don't expect Big Bear or Johnson Valley type trails at this place though. Hidden falls seems to be a pretty fun place all though I have yet to make that road trip. Let us all know when you get out here, ill go out and have a beer or something with ya. I am an up- rooted So Cal jeeper as well
Haha! Nice! Now that's the kind of answer I was looking for! Why the transplant lol. Hearing there isn't much in the way off rock crawling really makes me think SoCal is more for me lol. I just don't know. All my family lives in houston, so it feels like jeep vs family. Super tough :P I'll definitely let ya'll know though! I'm thinking I'll be there in the july-august time frame, but that could change..separating from the military is impossibly difficult when you've got a few medical issues that are still being addressed.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh ya mostly pay and play here in Texas.......all private. Came out here for mostly work and I was ready for some change. I have to be close to water for fishing and their is some good off shore fishing around here and out of Louisiana.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wanna make the 6 hour drive to Clayton for world renown rocks and scenery, PM me. We just got back and its hard to convince yourself to go anywhere else after that.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
If you wanna make the 6 hour drive to Clayton for world renown rocks and scenery, PM me. We just got back and its hard to convince yourself to go anywhere else after that.
YES, this place looks to be lots of fun. Maybe in the future their will be a trip for some play time. I will keep this on my active list of things to do!!

Quick Reply: Offroad areas around Houston