Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Request for DFW jeepers

Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Request for DFW jeepers

Hey guys,

I'm looking into upgrading my Jeep's suspension. I'm seriously looking into AEV or RockCrawler... However because these things are so subjective, I was really hoping to ride/driving in one of each.... Is there anyone in the DFW area who could help me out? There'll be a beer in it for you!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Are you currently running a lift ? If so what kind and why are you wanting to switch ?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2.5" Terra flex BB with Bilstien 5100's now.. I want something a lot more capable off road and that handles alot better on road
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Have you looked into the EVO 3" plush springs ? I've heard good things about them and there is a thread on the forum about them . EVO purports that they provide a real smooth ride on concrete and has good off-road handling.

Theoretically you should be able to swap out your pucks and install just the springs. As time grows on you can replace your track bar and control arms as you see fit. Honestly I think your issue is just the pucks. I'm sure if you throw in any spring set your ride will improve.

Last edited by Sapper12b; 10-14-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't know Evo made a 3" lift... any idea on pricing? Is it comparable to AEV or RK?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Honestly I think it's the pucks youre riding on that is giving you such a bad impression with the lift kit. I've run the Teraflex leveling kit using the pucks and now I have the Teraflex 2.5 lift kit with springs. The difference between the 2 are enormous. If you are ever in the Houston area I will let you take a ride in my Jeep so you can see the difference.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Go talk to Josh out at BAERTRAX or Adam at Tribe4x4. Or if you wait, the first Wednesday of the month swing by Love and War in grapevine...tons of JKs with all different kinds of suspension.

Sent from my thingy.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
Have you looked into the EVO 3" plush springs ? I've heard good things about them and there is a thread on the forum about them . EVO purports that they provide a real smooth ride on concrete and has good off-road handling.

Theoretically you should be able to swap out your pucks and install just the springs. As time grows on you can replace your track bar and control arms as you see fit. Honestly I think your issue is just the pucks. I'm sure if you throw in any spring set your ride will improve.
If I increased the lift and not the track bar or control arms will I run into any drive problems?

Mister Ed just marked the calendar... I'll be there
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM
JK Junkie

here read this thread thoroughly .....
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...17/#post211272

Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 3" lift?
A: On a 2007-11 JK, at bare minimum, you should have a set of 3" coils, bump stop extensions, longer shocks, rear brake line extension brackets, new longer rear sway bar links (factory links can be installed up front), adjustable front track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket. Optimally, I would recommend adjustable front upper and lower control arms as well as they will help you set your caster to the appropriate angle it needs to be. Also, if you have a 2-door, adjustable rear upper control arms and a new double cardin U-joint style drive shaft would be highly advisable.

On a 2012-Up, you will want to install a new front drive shaft regardless if you have an automatic or manual transmission. Assuming you install new, longer shocks with your lift, the extra droop you will see at a flex will cause the slip shaft boot on the drive shaft to tear. However, that is just one problem you will encounter. Even if you install exhaust spacers or relocate the cross over, the CV boot at the output shaft will be sitting at a significant state of pinch and this will cause it to fail prematurely.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KSSW
I didn't know Evo made a 3" lift... any idea on pricing? Is it comparable to AEV or RK?
For what you get it's more expensive. But I've heard good things about it. If you want more capability off road AEV may not be your best choice. I hear it rides great on road but has more limitations off road.

And to echo what Sapper said, it could be that you are only running pucks and not a true coil lift.

Quick Reply: Request for DFW jeepers