Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

rock slider lighting

Old 01-11-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rock slider lighting

I:cool am looking for a way to wire led lights under my rock sliders and i want them to come on when the doors open but also can be turned on from a separate switch. Any ideas on how to wire this up? Is it possible?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Run a wire from the + side of batt. to the led. Run a - wire from the batt. to a fuse. from the fuse to a switch on the dash , or where ever you want the switch. then run a wire from the switch to another switch in the door jamb. Then run a wire from the door switch to the led. Use N.O. switches. I used a remote control for my lights. It has 4 relays on board. #1 button turns on my dome light, #2 turns on the rock lights. That's all I have used so far. You can find these remotes on the web starting at about 10 bucks.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

^ that sounds interesting.... so the $10 wireless still working fine?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

No actually, it activates every once in a while by itself. It may be interference. I now have to pull the fuse if I'm not using it for any length of time. It may be okay for months, then all of a sudden...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Probably want to use a N.C. switch in the cab. That way the slider lights will work everytime without having the interior switch activated. Flick the interior switch to off and you have no slider lights.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dahreno
No actually, it activates every once in a while by itself. It may be interference. I now have to pull the fuse if I'm not using it for any length of time. It may be okay for months, then all of a sudden...
You should take it back and get your money back
Sounds like interference, that was my main complaint on the unit, that even when I ordered a different model, it still used the same frequency :(
I still have mine hooked up and works fine everytime, still thought it would be just a gag item, never expected it to actually work or expect that you could run (4) 10 amp channels off it.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

I don't dwell on negativity, life is to short ! It only cost 10 bucks so, lesson learned. It is still in and working. It's that I don't drive it that often so. I just put the fuse back in when I want to. It's mounted in the cab, and within reach of me when I'm driving so, it's easy. I don't even know if I would get satisfaction if I returned it any way. I did contact them and let them know. They just said sorry, and didn't suggest I return it. LOL ! Chinese, funny !
Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkudude3166
I:cool am looking for a way to wire led lights under my rock sliders and i want them to come on when the doors open but also can be turned on from a separate switch. Any ideas on how to wire this up? Is it possible?
Yes. With a 3 way switch and a relay.

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-01-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or if the draw is small and you don't want to use a relay you can do it with a 3 way switch and a little wiring. I drew it with the dome light wire since it comes on with the door open. If you a 2013 or later, you could also use the footwell light orange/gray wire.

Position 1 (up): LEDs come on with dome light.
Position 2 (center): LEDs never come on.
Position 3 (down): LEDs on.

If you want them to come on by the switch with the key off then feed top pin with 12v unswitched.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Slider lights.jpg
Views:	12072
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	594703  

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: rock slider lighting