Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Your honest opinion please

Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07rube
I have nothing against Rubimon personally. It just bothers me that out of stater's (mostly Californians have ruined the Austin area. If you think Austin is a nice place now (I no longer do), you should have seen it 20-30 years ago. No Starbucks, Lake Travis was free access, parking was mostly free, except for downtown during the day, etc.
So it is the out of staters that are charging for lake access and parking. And...a lot of people happen to like Starbucks, however I don't drink coffee so I am sure that one wasn't my fault. I remember being just a kid back in Ohio. My mother would let me put the money in the parking meter. Had I known it was the out of staters charging us, I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much. Kids, so naive!

Since I moved to California from Ohio, housing prices have skyrocketed. That is why I now cant stand people from Ohio.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you have to know is that I was born and raised 45 miles from Austin. We have relatives there and it is the nearest city for major shopping. I even lived there for a few years between High School and the Navy. You couldn't keep me away. Now I avoid Austin like the plague. I remember what it was like and I'm probably not being fair blaming folks from California. You're cool 'cause you come from Ohio. Not many Buckeyes messing us up.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I actually lived in Houston for a year...back when Westeimer(sp?) and Fondren were the edge of town!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07rube
How long have you been in Austin?
Around 35 years (except for the three years I lived in Charlotte, NC), actually live in Bastrop, but have friends in Austin and visit every now and again. One thing I miss since I live in Bastrop is the free concerts on auditorium shores on Wednesdays during the summer. I remember watching stevie down thee before he was famous, and the fab t-birds, angela strehli, and many others, it was a good time playing frisbee or hackee while listening to some good tunes.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kerryp
Around 35 years (except for the three years I lived in Charlotte, NC), actually live in Bastrop, but have friends in Austin and visit every now and again. One thing I miss since I live in Bastrop is the free concerts on auditorium shores on Wednesdays during the summer. I remember watching stevie down thee before he was famous, and the fab t-birds, angela strehli, and many others, it was a good time playing frisbee or hackee while listening to some good tunes.
You weren't at Long's 2 weekends ago, were you? Anyways, let's wheel sometimes.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, I didn't make it. I intended to make the run right up until the date had to be changed.

I already had plans that weekend, 6 of us took our ATV's up to Mena, AR. to the Ouachita Nat'l Forest for an ATV adventure. It was a blast, but I wish I could have been at the Longs event.

I'll catch up on the next run, looks like Shiloh Ridge,,,or we can hook up at one of the local parks like Longs, Katemcy, or Trees. I'm sure I will be hitting a couple of those b4 the summer is out.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

While I still enjoy Austin, I feel that is starting to "sell out" a little bit. For all of the "keep Austin weird" vibe that has always prevailed, it seems like "Make Austin Corporate" has taken over. The tearing down of cool bars on 4th street to replace with million-dollar condos is a sign of a healthy economy in Austin, but is also a sign of the loss of what has always made Austin unique.

Austin is losing its Austin-ness IMO, and its too bad.

With that said, still a wicked town.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freetail_Rubicon
While I still enjoy Austin, I feel that is starting to "sell out" a little bit. For all of the "keep Austin weird" vibe that has always prevailed, it seems like "Make Austin Corporate" has taken over. The tearing down of cool bars on 4th street to replace with million-dollar condos is a sign of a healthy economy in Austin, but is also a sign of the loss of what has always made Austin unique.

Austin is losing its Austin-ness IMO, and its too bad.

With that said, still a wicked town.
Now you know how I feel. About the same you would if they tore done the Alamo and built a Holiday Inn.

Quick Reply: Your honest opinion please