Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Earliest and latest time of year to visit Moab?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earliest and latest time of year to visit Moab?

I live in Indiana (24 hour drive) and my "slow" time of year at work is Nov thru March. I realize I can't plan a 10 day trip to Moab during those months and expect guaranteed open trails.

So when is a safe time of year to visit Moab? I will be going this fall or next year.

I have been dreaming of this trip for years. Its just going to be me and my two sons... And my oldest son gets his driving permit in 2 months!

We will be staying in a local hotel, not camping.

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Honestly Moab doesn't get a whole lot of snow so you can wheel the trails year round. It's our offseason so we get out a lot during those months. It can get cold though. November in my opinion is a great time in Moab it can still be in the 70s. So is March if we have a mild winter.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by munchie
Honestly Moab doesn't get a whole lot of snow so you can wheel the trails year round. It's our offseason so we get out a lot during those months. It can get cold though. November in my opinion is a great time in Moab it can still be in the 70s. So is March if we have a mild winter.
COOL! I didn't know that. My concern is driving 24 hours to find out they just got a few inches of snow, making the slick rock actually slick. Might shoot for next March. What do you think? Anybody else wheel there in March?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

I think you will have a blast in march. Keep in mind jeep safari is march 23 to the 30th so If u plan on coming during that time better make some hotel reservations soon.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Hows the weather in mid october usually? Still warm enough for bikini top and no doors?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I run with bikini top year round.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

....Keep in mind jeep safari is march 23 to the 30th so If u plan on coming during that time better make some hotel reservations soon.
As my first time and likely only trip ever to Moab, do you think it would be best to come during EJS, or a week before or after? I wonder if it's so full of people I won't get to enjoy Moab? Or is it Moab just better? Are the trails to full?

My wife has informed me that her and my daughter are coming along as well. 5 of us living out of my jkru for 10 days should be mightily smelly fun!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

If you love jeeps and enjoy being around others that love jeeps it's an awesome week. If your looking to get away from crowds and people then definitely don't go that week. On a side note you definitely won't have a problem finding someone to hit up some trails with.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you love jeeps and enjoy being around others that love jeeps it's an awesome week....... you definitely won't have a problem finding someone to hit up some trails with.
I do like peeps and jeeps, but wondered if its just to corporate because there are so many people???

Example: We go to the Michigan Silver Lake Sand dunes here on holiday weekends and its total madness. You have to get a special voucher to even be allowed in the park, get in huge lines with said voucher, then its good and bad once on the dunes cause there are so many vehicles. Its fun and cool to watch everybody and see there rigs, but its also nice on NON holiday weekends because you own the place, but miss watching all the crazies.

So I guess i am wondering what its like during ejs? Do I need to get signed up for trail runs (whisn'tisnt a bad thing), if so, is it hard to get a slot? Can I just go drive around on my own, or do I have to be in a group? (again, fine either way, just wondering)

I have a JKRU with lift, 37's, winch, bumpers, etc, and am not a newb when it comes to wheeliIndianandiana, but I will be a total newb on rock, and I will have the wife and kiddo's, so we are not looking for crazy hard core wheeling, but way more than dirt roads too, hoping more for a lot of seat time, views, not opposed at all to hiking, and whatever else is family fun.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a really big deal for me, its going to require taking off work at the beginning of our busy time, which I don't like, and pulling the kids out of school for at least 5 days, plus the oldest is in high school and in a lot of sports, and that makes it even harder. I really appreciate all the help and input!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Oh no problem with the questions. You don't have to have any special permits unless you want to do runs with the red rock four wheelers. This forum puts on some runs usually and it's not hard to go tag along with people during that week depending what trails you want to run. It's really a great time during the safari for the whole family but the town is super busy during the safari. So basically it depends if you want to be on your own or with others while out on the trail.

Quick Reply: Earliest and latest time of year to visit Moab?