Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

10th anniversary nightmarish MPG... Please advise.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
read what you just typed and think it through. If there is a yaw sensor, the body and frame have been leveled out, in turn, raises the front from the factory set, which would throw off a sensor for grade and show the vehicle is on an incline when it is setting on level ground. Oddly, an inch rise over just less than 10' (roughly axle center to axle center on a jku, even less distance on a jk) would be the equivalent of just about 1 degree grade. If it is 2", closer to 2.2 degree rise. Therefore, being only an inch or two would be needed, which again, sitting on a road that has just a few inches between the front and rear axle, would induce HSA, assuming it is in fact set at 3degrees from factory.
My wrx had something similar, it just seems like with all the sensors and computers that it would be locked out once you reached a minimal forward motion?

Matthew
Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
My wrx had something similar, it just seems like with all the sensors and computers that it would be locked out once you reached a minimal forward motion?

Matthew

Yes, it SHOULD... but, I guess anything can malfunction.

My thoughts are even if the rake is changed and giving the sensor a faulty reading, the brakes will still unlock within a few seconds. I know when I stop on a hill with the clutch in and then let off the brake, the brakes will only stay on for a few seconds and then the Jeep will start rolling. While this appears to be normal operation, I am sure something can malfunction and keep the brakes on longer or permanently. And in that case, it would be quite obvious as the wheels would not roll when you jack the axle up and the brakes would definitely stink after driving a short distance.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody knows or has a shop manual that says where that sensor would be located???

Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Da10A
Anybody knows or has a shop manual that says where that sensor would be located??? Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk
Google. Cures everything except cancer and the French.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-483083856.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	525275  
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Google. Cures everything except cancer and the French.
D'accord, merci beaucoup c'est gentil.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Yes, I am pretty sure it is the black box where I tapped into to install a kill switch for the ESP system. Here is another pic, which I grabbed from the write-up I did. It is under the back side of the center council.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Da10A
D'accord, merci beaucoup c'est gentil. Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk
Pas de problème
Old 01-21-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olyelr
Yes, I am pretty sure it is the black box where I tapped into to install a kill switch for the ESP system. Here is another pic, which I grabbed from the write-up I did. It is under the back side of the center council.

Well if that's the box, it seems to lay flat on the console interior and is therefore not level when stock, as it follows the factory rake.... so a suspension leveling kit would make it believe it is facing a hill at all times...... just shooting stuff up in the air? !?? All I know is that turning it off was an immediate 3mpg..?!?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone else turned hill assist off and seen better mpgs? It doesn't seem all that useful to me and if I can squeeze any mpgs out of it, I'm down!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zacs08jk
Has anyone else turned hill assist off and seen better mpgs? It doesn't seem all that useful to me and if I can squeeze any mpgs out of it, I'm down!
not sure if its the same as turning the over drive off but all i know i get up in the mountains i turn it off cause i can't stand shift every rolling hill or big climbs. it drops my millage by a couple miles though

Quick Reply: 10th anniversary nightmarish MPG... Please advise.