Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

16X8 or 17X9 Wheels 08 JK?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16X8 or 17X9 Wheels 08 JK?

Hi Everyone,

Here's another thread for new wheels that is very similar to others. I hope I'm not revisiting too much previously discussed information.

I have an '08 JK Rubicon. I am planning on putting 35" tires, 12.5" wide, after installing the 3" lift.

I am considering either a 16X8 wheel with 4" of backspace and -11 mm offset, or a 17X9 wheel with 4.625" of backspace and -8 mm offset.

I have read a lot of different threads in which wheel width, backspace, and offset have been discussed in detail. All of that information makes sense; but, there are a few things I'm missing.

1. The 17X9 wheel appears to be almost perfect based upon what I have read. Should I be concerned with any rubbing with the 12.5" tire width after the lift?

2. I like the fact that the 16X8 wheel would provide a little more protection of the wheel by the tire sidewall. But, I am concerned about the 4" backspacing. From a stress standpoint, the wheel/tire will be centered with this set-up, so I wouldn't think that there would be any more stress on suspension components with this wheel, than with the wider wheel. Is that a good conclusion to draw? With this wheel, would the only drawback be that the tire would stick out an additional 5/8"?

3. I have read that 4.5" backspacing or slightly more is best for a JK wheel. Is this a good rule-of-thumb, or is the ideal situation to have a wheel/tire's mass centered on the hub? With a centered wheel/tire, are the only two critical factors are the inside of the tire and wheel (making sure they don't rub), and the outside of the tire and how much it sticks out? Or, is there something more that I should be considering?

4. I have also been told that a 16" wheel may not fit on the JK Rubicon. From what I have read here in the forum, it appears that a 16" wheel will work fine. (Even some 15" wheels will work, although it really involves checking a specific wheel for clearance.) Do you think this is still a good conclusion?

Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll chime in on the 16x8 with the 4" backspace, just put a set on mine. I put 315/75/16's on and they fit fine. I rub a little at full turn on the air dam in front but I'm replacing it so not worried about that or I'd trim it. There are also no problems with the clearance of the brakes, those are the 15's that can rub there. They don't stick out too far past the flares, maybe an 1"-1.5" at most. Went with the 16's because they were cheaper for the wheels, got some on clearance, and the tires were less expensive also. You'd have no problems with this set up.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey Jeff I have the set up you are looking at with 17 x 9 and I have no rubbing issues.

Quick Reply: 16X8 or 17X9 Wheels 08 JK?