Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

1st World Problems - what to buy?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st World Problems - what to buy?

So, as I'm sure many have experienced, I'm spending copious amounts of time lurking forums and vendor information to piece together the proper mod list. I figured maybe leaning on the community might help me through my admittedly enviable dilemma. Here's the skinny:

Rig is a DD, presently on 35's and a budget boost and 2 inches on the body (I know, I know, but believe me, it looks alright and keeps the weight low), RIPP headers and tune, 3.73s, 30/44 axles, Smitty Stinger front (winch in the works). Lot's of overland wheeling, mud, sand, not much in the way of rocks. I wheel hard but smart and know how to pick lines.

I know what you're thinking right away: "Well, gears, dummy!" and I agree wholeheartedly, but the wife and I are DINKs (dual income, no kids....to clarify!) and have good jobs. As such, I have carte blanch as long as the down payment for house building is on a 1:1 with mods, heh! So, naturally, I'm torn between the Hemi and RIPP for (near) future power. I'd hate to bolster the rear 44 if I'm just slapping a CRD 60 back there...but I'm not sure which way to go on that one. Decisions decisions!

The temptation to go 37's is there, but not nagging by any means. I do have a buyer lined up for the Duratracs if I do, however. Could probably use a "real" lift too, but those are a little easier to save up for than, say, a loaded PR44 front.

Anywho, there it is. So my question to you fine ladies and gentlemen of the world's greatest Jeep forum:

What would you do with a 10k mod budget for a daily driver?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

If i were you i would do the following

-An actually lift, 2.5in to 3.5in Suspension lift
-ProRock 44 F/R
-Regear
-Keep the current 35's if you are into Overlanding, The better gas milage will help
-F/R ARB Air Lockers

And thats about it.. now if you are planing on ever going 37's or higher then i would go with ProRock 60's and new wheels.

Thats just my $0.02 though
Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
If i were you i would do the following

-An actually lift, 2.5in to 3.5in Suspension lift
-ProRock 44 F/R
-Regear
-Keep the current 35's if you are into Overlanding, The better gas milage will help
-F/R ARB Air Lockers

And thats about it.. now if you are planing on ever going 37's or higher then i would go with ProRock 60's and new wheels.

Thats just my $0.02 though
I would do almost the same, with one or two changes. I'd definitely save a $1000 and just do the rear locker, unless you plan on some serious wheeling, a lot. Use that grand instead for some Sliders, front driveshaft, and skids (might be closer to $1500 for those three if you go with nice stuff). Also, loaded front and rear PR44 would shoot your whole wad, and then some...Haha. So maybe just a front PR44 and beef up your existing rear with shafts or something if you really wanted. Otherwise though, Mr. Smiley pretty much summed it up for you, although you'll need wheels if you don't want your stockers to rub... When you stop to think about it, 10k doesn't go that far, Haha. I'm almost 10k deep in mods and have:
3.5" RK Flex w/ fox shocks
5, 17" Spyderlock wheels
35" kevlar mt/r's
RK PRO tie rod
Coast 1310 driveshaft
G2 5.13 gears
PSC evap skid
ProCal
IPF headlights
EVO sleeve/skid/gussett reinforcement package
Hi lift and hi lift hood mount
Those are what I got, some of which were installed or painted professionally, for just under 10k.
Next major purchases are on-board compressor, rear bumper w/tire carrier (probably PSC), Sliders (PSC or Shrockworks), rear ARB airlocker, PSC fender flares, PSC stubby stinger front bumper, winch.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by brownimus
So, as I'm sure many have experienced, I'm spending copious amounts of time lurking forums and vendor information to piece together the proper mod list. I figured maybe leaning on the community might help me through my admittedly enviable dilemma. Here's the skinny:

Rig is a DD, presently on 35's and a budget boost and 2 inches on the body (I know, I know, but believe me, it looks alright and keeps the weight low), RIPP headers and tune, 3.73s, 30/44 axles, Smitty Stinger front (winch in the works). Lot's of overland wheeling, mud, sand, not much in the way of rocks. I wheel hard but smart and know how to pick lines.

I know what you're thinking right away: "Well, gears, dummy!" and I agree wholeheartedly, but the wife and I are DINKs (dual income, no kids....to clarify!) and have good jobs. As such, I have carte blanch as long as the down payment for house building is on a 1:1 with mods, heh! So, naturally, I'm torn between the Hemi and RIPP for (near) future power. I'd hate to bolster the rear 44 if I'm just slapping a CRD 60 back there...but I'm not sure which way to go on that one. Decisions decisions!

The temptation to go 37's is there, but not nagging by any means. I do have a buyer lined up for the Duratracs if I do, however. Could probably use a "real" lift too, but those are a little easier to save up for than, say, a loaded PR44 front.

Anywho, there it is. So my question to you fine ladies and gentlemen of the world's greatest Jeep forum:

What would you do with a 10k mod budget for a daily driver?
Just a thought here but 10K isn't enough for what your talking. i just put a PR44 front w/RCV's and beefed up the rear with RCV's and lockers front and rear, drive shafts and gears. this alone was just over 10K not including my lift tires wheels ect.. so yea i have a wonderful wife !!!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st on my list would be a real spring lift. I would suggest AEV 3.5 Dualsport for a DD with 35's and overlanding build as the progressive springs are perfect. Adjustable shocks would go with this. Next, I would find a way to upgrade from the D30. Gearing and RCVs would accompany this change. The remaining money I would put in a leveraged ETF so it grows enough in a year or so to afford to swap out the motor. You really don't need 37's if you don't frequently ride on rocks.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 11-11-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st World Problems - what to buy?