Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5" lifts or larger sway bar issues

Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 2.5" lifts or larger sway bar issues

When adding a 2.5” or larger lift to a JK, no matter what brand, there will be clearance issues with the rear sway bar. Jeep has designed the JK frame so wide plus then added the rear sway bar outside the frame, there’s just not enough room. Anytime you add longer shocks to a JK, it allows the axle to droop more which allows it to shift side to side. The only 3 solutions are: wheel spacers, retain stock shocks to limit droop or swap the rims out with those with more offset to them. Most people that go with a larger kit already plan to change out the rims to allow for bigger tires, correcting this issue. Typically the only time the tires rub will be at full droop. Normal daily driving would have no issues. This is normal for just about any Jeep.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Grant211
Thank you for clearing up the issue!!!!
No problem! I hope you keep that lift kit!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh well....it would have been nice being warned of this pre purchase rather than after.....not the best business practices.....

i am going to still install it but just a bit disappointed.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cormac827
ahh well....it would have been nice being warned of this pre purchase rather than after.....not the best business practices.....

i am going to still install it but just a bit disappointed.
that's the thing about a new model "car"... looks to me like TF's only option is have this issue or don't build lifts.... and that would probably be bad for business. not to mention it isn't just TF that is having issues... let's all just blame our dealers

i have 4.5" backspacing on my wheels with 33X12.50 tires and not one bit of problem.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Maybe the BEST solution is to re-design the rear sway bar to mount inside the frame rails like a normal suspension. It can then be linked to allow disco operation if needed.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanna get the teraflex 2.5" bb for my new jk, i have some questions for you: i´m gonna use it mostly as my daily drive, i only gonna do offroad twice a month or a little more; should i get the lift with shock extensions or with the shocks? what´s the difference between the stock shocks to the shocks that come with the kit? thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by rroberto
i wanna get the teraflex 2.5" bb for my new jk, i have some questions for you: i´m gonna use it mostly as my daily drive, i only gonna do offroad twice a month or a little more; should i get the lift with shock extensions or with the shocks? what´s the difference between the stock shocks to the shocks that come with the kit? thanks
TeraFlex shocks tend to be a little stiffer than stock. The shock extensions work just fine for your application.

Sorry cormac827, but this issue happens to every manufactor of lifts for JK's. With Jeeps design to give the JK a wider stance, this problem was created. Unfortunately the solutions is more $ for the addtional parts from the consumer.

Quick Reply: 2.5" lifts or larger sway bar issues