Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" Metalcloak Overland Elite Suspension Question

Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cabmak4life78
You have plans to build an incredibly capable rig for only going out 30 days out of the year. Seems a bit overbuilt to me for your use as described above.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. I learned that lesson the hard way more than once when I was young and dumb. Trying to avoid the same pitfalls now.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Metalcloak makes a really cool undercarriage protection system but realistically it's just adding more weight and another reason for you to get hung up. I'm at 158k miles and 7 years with factory skids without an issue a hammer couldn't fix. I did chop my rear lower shock mounts but basically the rest of it is not an issue. I will add that the evap skid is actually a decent investment. Folks that don't protect it have more issues with random CEL's due to small cracks in the canister. I've been in those same spots and my canister hasn't had any issues.

So yes to the evap skid over the stock aluminum foil one but realistically the bottom is well protected unless you want to drag it through places you shouldn't be.

For a baseline it should be noted that I'm built relatively similar- 2.5" frankenlift, bumpers, tire carrier, 35's, winch (syn line), OBA, dual batteries, and it's a daily driver that takes me camping. It's more stout than you'd guess. If your location is Greenbrier down this way then you're welcome to check it out and see if you really need what you're looking at.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Metalcloak makes a really cool undercarriage protection system but realistically it's just adding more weight and another reason for you to get hung up. I'm at 158k miles and 7 years with factory skids without an issue a hammer couldn't fix. I did chop my rear lower shock mounts but basically the rest of it is not an issue. I will add that the evap skid is actually a decent investment. Folks that don't protect it have more issues with random CEL's due to small cracks in the canister. I've been in those same spots and my canister hasn't had any issues.

So yes to the evap skid over the stock aluminum foil one but realistically the bottom is well protected unless you want to drag it through places you shouldn't be.

For a baseline it should be noted that I'm built relatively similar- 2.5" frankenlift, bumpers, tire carrier, 35's, winch (syn line), OBA, dual batteries, and it's a daily driver that takes me camping. It's more stout than you'd guess. If your location is Greenbrier down this way then you're welcome to check it out and see if you really need what you're looking at.

I have relocated my evap canister so that is taken care of. I do need a skid plate for the oil pan, and the transfer case for sure and since the MC comes with that stuff and the new heavy duty cross member it just seemed like a no brainer to just get the whole system and be done with it all at once rather than try to piece it together.

Edit to add: I'm in Greenbrier Tn, not Greenbrier Wv. Sorry if that caused any confusion.

Quick Reply: 2.5" Metalcloak Overland Elite Suspension Question