Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 vs. 3 inch lift

Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Just me but I would go ahead and change the springs to match the shock replacement. Before doing the change and since both sets of springs are TF, I would check to see if the part numbers of the springs are actually different. Technically, they should be different but I'm struggling to understand the reason why TF would design/develop/produce a different 2.5" set and 3" set of front and rear springs. Seems kind of silly, so I'm kind of suspecting they may actually be the same springs.
Extreme Terrain has a video review of the standard Teraflex 3-inch lift, in which they state Teraflex uses the same springs for the 2.5 and three-inch kits. The three-incher adds a 0.5-inch spacer atop the front coils. I can't say for certain the same is true with the S/T 3 kit, but my bet is they're all the same springs.

To the OP's original question, I've heard 2.5-inch lifts risk rubbing at full extension off-road. So, if you wheel your Jeep at all, I'd err on the side of adding the new springs only AFTER verifying they're a different part number.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
The arms are fixed on the s/t3 kit made for a 3" lift. Best bet is change it all
The difference in arm length needed for a 2.5" vs a 3" is so small it would not make a difference. It would somewhere around 1/8" and actually running those arms with smaller coils would result in more caster and a slightly longer wheelbase.

Actual height is what you need to look at. Rarely do coil lifts give you what they are advertised at. Most will give you more. I would measure what you actually have now and what you get if you install the longer coils. If you actually get into the 3.5" area you will notice some difference in ride mainly in your steering.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Just me but I would go ahead and change the springs to match the shock replacement. Before doing the change and since both sets of springs are TF, I would check to see if the part numbers of the springs are actually different. Technically, they should be different but I'm struggling to understand the reason why TF would design/develop/produce a different 2.5" set and 3" set of front and rear springs. Seems kind of silly, so I'm kind of suspecting they may actually be the same springs.
different part numbers. 3 inch lift springs are about 1 inch taller. Which would bring me in the 3.5 inch area which I dont want to get into. Installed fronts and it sat about inch higher than the rear. I will finish install tomorrow, and then decide if I want to revert back to 2.5 inch springs.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Ended up keeping 2.5 inch springs. I find that mew suspension arms and shocks work better with the shorter springs. S/T3 springs are 3.5 inches, I measured all around with both sets and 2.5 inch are exactly 1 inch shorter.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Red face Going from 2" puck lift to a 3" spring lift with brackets

Hey Everyone: Just wondering if I'm going to not notice much of a distance in height for the cost?
Anyone here with a 3"?I'm on 35's

Reason I'm deciding on 3" is I like the thicker stance. So i don't want to lose that.
I don't ever plan on going to 37"
I should be able to feel a difference right? getting in and out as well as on road?

Someone recently told me with puck lift I'm probably actually getting only 1.5" height...
I'm about to take the plunge and would love some feedback on this. Thank YOU!!

Old 05-04-2023, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

A 3" spring lift will wash out some caster on front axle if you do not have adjustable control arms. The front driveshaft angle will need to be looked at as it will be close to 3 degrees difference if not more. You will need to adjust tracbar to keep axle centered and steering to straighten out the steering wheel. If you have an adjustable axle side tracbar mount on rear axle, move the tracbar to the top hole as will improve roll center (body roll)
Old 05-04-2023, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

the lower you keep it the better the ride will be.
The following users liked this post:
RickLB (05-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 2.5 vs. 3 inch lift