Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2-Door lift - AEV or OME HD or OME +40??

Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-Door lift - AEV or OME HD or OME +40??

Alright guys, bear with me as I know there are quite a few posts on AEV, OME and a few on OME +40s, but most respondents are 4-door drivers. I need advice from door 2-door owners.

I'm looking for overall capability but mostly trying to build a nice overland jeep. Planning on some very long over road travel through the southwest, Canada and then onto Alaska, and want something that can tackle "most" anything in it's way.

It's an X with auto, I'm on 33's right now, and will upgrade to 35's when those wear out, I don't have bumpers but planning on building stubby front w/ winch, rear with swing away and adding rock rails with extensions and possible roof rack. So there will be some weight on it, plus what ever we bring. And I do plan on adding tom woods shaft to what ever lift I get and building the necessary control arms.

Now, for lifts:
I like AEV for it's engineering, high steer kit and front and rear trackbar towers. But just learned that it's lift is much more then advertised, possibly +5", if that's true it's a bit much for me.

I like OME all around, but am partial to bilsteins so I think I'll be running those on any lift. I would go OME HD which would give me about 3" of lift, and am considering more lift, +40's, as I figure if I'm going to do it I should do it right and the way i want, so I don't regret later. But I'm not finding much information about the +40's and their affect on a 2-door. On top of that, there would be much more to add to any OME lift I get, track bar towers, drag link flip, etc.

So, I need advice, experience and pics please, from you 2 door guys running these set ups.

Thanks for the help and any advice you can give
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I would go OME HD which would give me about 3" of lift,
You might want to browse around and re-check your numbers. OME HD's gave me 3.25" on my 4door with a heavy bumper and winch. Stock 2door, you're up around 4". I'd guess the +40's would get you up towards 5?

Just an opinion, but a low cog is a good thing. Go to flats, and 2-3" is plenty of room to run those 35's, even with all the extra weight. If you haven't looked already, check out the OME Long Travel kits at northridge...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a fan of Old Man Emu's spring technology and have tried three or four different combinations of their front/rear springs on my JK.

Note: OME +40 springs are 4-door heavies that are 40mm over; you're going to be uncomfortably high with those springs, even with 35s... and especially so with lightweight bumpers! Plus, you're unnecessarily increasing your cg.

I run OME619 4-door heavy front and OME618 2-door heavy rears.

That nets me ~3.5" lift, but I'm running full width ARB bumpers front and back, an OR-Fab tire carrier that holds my CO2 and 5 gals spare fuel, and I run a 9.5ti with wire rope (read: weight).

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Stock 2door, you're up around 4".
Everything that I've read lists between 3-3.5 for hd's, mostly a little over 3, but I'll underestimate a tad. Which is why the AEV is attractive, with the listed 3.5, but if the +5" that i've heard is true, that certainly is too much.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
I'm a fan of Old Man Emu's spring technology and have tried three or four different combinations of their front/rear springs on my JK.

Note: OME +40 springs are 4-door heavies that are 40mm over; you're going to be uncomfortably high with those springs, even with 35s... and especially so with lightweight bumpers! Plus, you're unnecessarily increasing your cg.

I run OME619 4-door heavy front and OME618 2-door heavy rears.

That nets me ~3.5" lift, but I'm running full width ARB bumpers front and back, an OR-Fab tire carrier that holds my CO2 and 5 gals spare fuel, and I run a 9.5ti with wire rope (read: weight).

Hey Dawg,
I actually purchased your 616's, but started thinking about different things on what I was going to put into the jeep, which brought up these questions, that I needed to get answers for before buying the rest of the supplies for the lift.... and here I am.

But thanks for the info, reading through all of the threads, I didn't read that the +40's were 4-door hd's +40mm, I thought they covered the entire OME line and were the same rating plus 40mm. But that rules +40's out, maybe till I have kids and need a 4-door, years from now.

On that note, have you added trackbar towers and/or drag link flip to your OME kit? If not, how's the handling?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Bump... bump....

I'm still hoping to get some insight from you 2-door owners on AEV.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Read my sig it has my full set up and works fine...

All I need to do now to go 35"s (later) is 2" bump stops and the OME sport LT's...

Again my jeep is also pretty heavy...

Slightly older photo with the wheels being the only visable change...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20136.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	80456
Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the biggest problem with the OME lift kit is everybody says what you will get for amoutn of lift but in reality it is very tough to figure it out unless we weight the jeeps.

Every jeep will be slighty different depending on the weight.

If you have stock everyting you are going to get mor elift then if you have heavy bumpers.

If you have heavy bumpers in the front and nothing in the back you will get less lift out of the front.

Coils springs are a very simple thing. The more weight you add to them the further they compress.

David
Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Just put on the mopar 2" on my 09 JK 2Dr. I have a shrockworks bumper/tire carrier and gobi roof rack. the rear is sagging. I was told by superlift that i should go to 3" 4dr coils in the rear to handle this extra weight. Does OME make HD 3" rears?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aev

Installed the AEV 3.5 on my Rubi 2 door and believe it is closer to 4" especially in the front where it cured the rake. Kinda hard to measure cuz I went to 35" Kevlars from the stock BFGs at the same time. I have the full width ARB front and RR rear bumper w/tire carrier. Went to the NC mountains last week and it felt stable and I thot the handling was pretty good. Did have to row that 6 speed a lot tho...

Quick Reply: 2-Door lift - AEV or OME HD or OME +40??