Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2" vs. 3" on Stock Rubber??

Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" vs. 3" on Stock Rubber??

Ok, I'm now really debating which lift to get, the Full Traction 2" BB or the 3" Economy lift. The cost diff between those two kits is not an issue.

I have a 2-Door JK Rubi. It will be wheeled moderately often, and mainly rockcrawling and such. Its also my daily driver for at least a year, so I want to build it up as a capable daily driver. I'd like to not change rubber if I can for the economy aspect.

For background, my last Jeep was an '05 Rubi w/ RE 4.5" SuperFlex, 2" body lift, 35's and 4.88's. It was wheeled hard and held up great, but it wasn't my daily driver and wasn't super fun to drive around town anymore. This time around, I intend on keeping the JK relatively stock, and then in a 2 years or so, building a buggy.

So, with all that in mind, which would you recommend going with: the 2" BB or the 3" Economy lift?

Also, does anyone have pics of a JK on either lift with stock rubber?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

If you aren't changing the tires I would reccomend NO lift. It will make your smallish looking stock tires seem even smaller. Plus without bigger tires the first thing to hit will be your axles. They will stay the same height reletive to the ground. You will also raise the center of gravity without the benefit of wider track that larger tires will provide. I would personally not install lift untill bigger tires require it. On the flip side with rocks, I suppose that if you don't take advatage of the extra approch afforded by the lift, then you will drag the belly less.

Last edited by Ge99ne; 11-14-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

yea if your not going to change the tires then why lift it ??
Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I was thinking of just doing a trail set of tires, and keeping my stockers for daily driver duties. I guess I may have to go that route. In which case 35's seem the logical choice to go to, but that would pretty much require the 3" lift, which I'm afraid won't look right with the 32" tires on it. I think the 2" looks better than stock, to me the way the JK ships the tires are too big for the opening.

I guess I could go to 33's, that shouldn't kill my power/mileage too bad for daily driving.

I miss having a trailer queen and not having to worry about things like mileage. lol.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

I'm also in the predicamet.. Daily commuter 80 + miles a day.. But also I am going to be doing some wheeling.. Don’t want to go over 33’s as of yet.. But I believe the stance with at least a 2” lift will look much better offer just a little bit more ground clearance.. What to do – What to do….
Old 11-14-2006, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

I agree. I just went ahead and ordered the Skyjacker Budget 2" with Nitro shocks.. Figure I can always combine it with a spring lift later..
Old 11-14-2006, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I must admit I'm facing the same decision. I have decided to go with the Full Traction 3" lift. Without new gears to install, I'm not ready to install 35" tires. I upgraded my XJ from 27" tires to 31" tires, and my powerful 4.0L engine became a slug and I despised the lack of power. I don't want to dispise my new JK.

My plan is to lift the Jeep with the Budget 3" kit (for now) in preparation for the 35" tires, but I'm not going to purchase those tires until there are more wheel choices AND there are 4.88 gears available to swap into the JK. If the JK looks terrible with the 3" lift, then I'll take it back off.

I, too, would like to see a picture of a JK Rubicon lifted 3" while retaining the stock wheels.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Spudracer,

With an Rubicon 4dr, 2.5-3" lift and 34.5-35" tires... will re-gearing be necessary to use the vehicle as a daily driver as well? If I go with this setup, am I going to be disappointed in the capability of the vehicle without re-gearing?

If I do re-gear, will this totally shoot the warranty to hell? (or at least take out a large chunk of it) And what do you think re-gearing would approx cost?

Any draw backs to all of this?

Also.. a little separate... would you wait for the old man emu kit? Are they THAT much better?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Not Trying to Step on any Toes, but...

After reading this thread, I am asking myself, "Why did these guys pay all that money for the ultimate offroad Jeep (Rubicon) and put a Budget Boost on it?"

Why not wait a couple of months for aftermarket to catch up, then install a lift that is actually worthy enough to be on a serious offroader. By January, there will be spring lifts ranging from 2" to 10". Maybe some of you should have gotten an X or Sahara (as I am) if you are worried about beefing up your daily driver too much. That is the reason they build the X and Sahara.

Looks like a serious case of "Rubiconitis" going on in here.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure I will but the Full Traction 3" economy lift. The big question for me is 33's or 35's.

Quick Reply: 2" vs. 3" on Stock Rubber??