JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   2008 Viper Throttle body on a wrangler? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/2008-viper-throttle-body-wrangler-100353/)

mkjeep 09-07-2009 07:05 AM

I'm debating on a snorkel hood scoop or a cowl induction scoop for mine. Which do yall think will give me the most horsepower? I'm leaning towards the snorkel. Will 454 stickers help? :rock::harhar:

SaharaBlackNo1 09-07-2009 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man (Post 1320787)
Who told you this in the first place?

I was wondering this too. Especially since quite a few people have been on these forums since the JK first came out, this is the first I'd ever heard on any of them about using a Viper throttle body. Definitely be interesting to play with, but personally I'd rather install that throttle body with the v10 still attatched. lol

RedneckJeep 09-07-2009 07:19 AM

Yeah, I know about it from a technical point of view. It won't work. It might bolt up, I don't know. But, it won't add any power whatsoever, because you have to have something else in the mix besides more air. More fuel. What's gonna tell the PCM to inject more fuel? Nothing. All you'll end up doing is leaning your engine out and damaging it. Happy trails.

goldtr8 09-07-2009 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep (Post 1320800)
Yeah, I know about it from a technical point of view. It won't work. It might bolt up, I don't know. But, it won't add any power whatsoever, because you have to have something else in the mix besides more air. More fuel. What's gonna tell the PCM to inject more fuel? Nothing. All you'll end up doing is leaning your engine out and damaging it. Happy trails.

O2 sensor should tell you to add more fuel, also there should be some sensor either MAP or hot wire measuring air.

But without changing the intake runners I don't see how you would get more air in.

All that being said I don't think it would work either, but as stated earlier in the post if all 10 cylinders are attached then it might give a boost in power.

jeepnxj3 09-07-2009 07:55 AM

Besides the electrical BS with our jk engines, why wouldn't it add more power like it did with my bored out throttle body on my old cherokee? Defintely noticed a difference there. Not saying the viper one bolts up or not (highly doubt it anyway) but would be cool to find something that would work.

Geeper4x4 09-07-2009 08:07 AM

Get a baseline dyno pull.
Bolt on Viper TB.
Run dyno again.
Report.

Now we all know!!:ya:

RedneckJeep 09-07-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by goldtr8 (Post 1320808)
O2 sensor should tell you to add more fuel, also there should be some sensor either MAP or hot wire measuring air.

But without changing the intake runners I don't see how you would get more air in.

All that being said I don't think it would work either, but as stated earlier in the post if all 10 cylinders are attached then it might give a boost in power.

The O2 sensors have nothing to do with the fuel curve. That's part of the PCM programming. In order to feed a Viper throttle body, you'd need bigger injectors and probably a bigger fuel pump. Not to mention the intake that you already pointed out. The engine is designed to be run AS IS, as an entire package. If you change one aspect, be prepared to change tham all. By the time you do all that, you couldda had a HEMI.

JPop 09-07-2009 09:15 AM

This certainly isn't as preposterous as it may sound. I know there are various years of the V10 that use dual throttle bodies, so they aren't all that far off in terms of airflow. As for fuel, I'm certain there is a little overhead available with the current fuel pump and injectors, but not a lot.

That said, even if it does bolt on and the PCM properly communicates with it, you still need a throttle body relearn so it makes the appropriate calls. When someone has a programmer that has a throttle body relearn feature then it might be time to investigate, but today that seems a long way away.

jeepnxj3 09-07-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by JPop (Post 1320919)
This certainly isn't as preposterous as it may sound. I know there are various years of the V10 that use dual throttle bodies, so they aren't all that far off in terms of airflow. As for fuel, I'm certain there is a little overhead available with the current fuel pump and injectors, but not a lot.

That said, even if it does bolt on and the PCM properly communicates with it, you still need a throttle body relearn so it makes the appropriate calls. When someone has a programmer that has a throttle body relearn feature then it might be time to investigate, but today that seems a long way away.

I know the procal can program the throttle for a new hemi, maybe something similar can be worked out for the viper TB. :dontknow2:

opdsgt 09-07-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JPop (Post 1320564)
Unless you get a throttle body relearn tool/programmer that can adjust the PCM, it's all for not.

It's all for naught, not all for not. :D

Signed,

The Word Police