Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 2DR with teraflex 4" lift and double carden D/S front and back

Old 02-21-2017, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 2DR with teraflex 4" lift and double carden D/S front and back

I just bought myself a 2012 2DR JK with a 6spd manual like the title states and came complete with a teraflex 4" lift with flex arms. I noticed that the jeep also has double carden driveshafts front and back. I have been going over everything making sure things are right and well maintained. The rear pinion angle was adjusted as per teraflex instructions parallel to the drive shaft angle. I come from a pretty good mechanical background and just don't see how this is correct.

I am not sure how much lift was actually achieved but I will measure when I get back from out of town. My big concerns is the reading I have been doing about front shaft failures and breakage of the transfer case. I don't plan to wheel it more than 4 or 5 times a year on 2-3 rated trails. I do want a nice driving and reliable performing jeep.

I can take more pictures of driveshaft angles once I am home thursday. I also have some time scheduled at a friends alignment shop to check caster soon.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_120051.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	975.3 KB
ID:	667071
Old 02-21-2017, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When you get a chance, go to Tom Woods driveshaft website. There is a bunch of reading material in both the Jeep JK and the Tech Info areas, including diagrams showing the angles for a couple types of driveshaft joint.

Unfortunately, for the front, we have the trade-off between good caster and good pinion angles. Better pinion (less chance of vibes) automatically means lower caster (worse handling). Some options to research further would be swapping stock joints back on, some type of locking hub conversion, an aftermarket caster-corrected housing, chopping up the stock housing and rewelding with better angles.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-21-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 2DR with teraflex 4" lift and double carden D/S front and back