Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JK Light Weight Parts

Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2012 JK Light Weight Parts

Hi Jeepers, I need your help finding light weight parts for a 2012 JK Sport. My plan is to reduce the weight as much as possible. I don't want to loose the rear seats or the doors or the spare tire, basically here is a list of the parts I would be interested in (if they exist):

1- Light weight battery.
2- Light weight bonnet.
3- Light weight wheels.
4- Light weight front seats.
5- Light weight brakes.
6- Light weight suspension.
7- Light weight Exhaust system.

Any other ideas are welcome. This Jeep will be mainly used for high speed desert driving.

Oh yea, one more thing, I'm not willing to loose any of my 200 lbs so forget about this idea

Last edited by rebel78; 02-20-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Start by pulling out the carpet and plastic facades. Remove the inner fender walls. Just start looking around there is lots of stuff that can be pulled.

Not always the best way to travel, as about a 200lbs of weight removal is only going to increase your power to weight ratio by 5% and there are probably a lot less expensive ways to do that under the hood.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

If you're lifting, the Rock Krawler 2.5 or 3.5 PRO systems are made from aluminum making them substantially lighter than other steel kits.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Raptor.

Honestly, for a substantial weight decrease, youre going to lose strength from something. High speed romps through the desert take their toll. I'd consider power upgrades before I'd consider weight reduction.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I think there is an aftermarket hood, not the AEV one but the other, that is lighter than stock. You can get an aluminum suspension kit from rock krawler (stuff is crazy light, I checked it out when I went to visit them), getting some 15" aluminum wheels and some dune tires should be easy, same thing with finding an aluminum exhust. The battery and seats sound tricky, and I don't think theres that much out there in terms of brakes (although I've seen some drilled rotors on Quadratec).

Other big weight savings is ditching the spare, and just carrying a tire repair kit. Also, toss the back seats, as well as switch to half doors or even soft doors. if you're going to only be on the dunes, you can see about replacing some of the skids, like the transfer case and gas tank skids with aluminum, or just pulling them off.

Last edited by sneck; 02-20-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Buy a Raptor.

Honestly, for a substantial weight decrease, youre going to lose strength from something. High speed romps through the desert take their toll. I'd consider power upgrades before I'd consider weight reduction.
My Raptor weighs in at 6000lbs. lol.

Forged wheels (Centerline, Weld, etc). Unless you are willing to spend more than you paid for your Jeep you won't be able to shave much weight. What is you intended purpose of your Jeep?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

X2 on the 15 inch aluminum rims. You will have to shave down your calipers. Get really small thin tires too.

Take top off

Stubby bumpers (cut stock), delete fog lights

Take all skid plates off

Only put in 1/4 tank of gas

Muffler

You could probably remove rollbars or cut them off
Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need to go with a 33x12.50x15 AT. That way you won't have to swap out many parts such as rear tire carrier, etc. You could remove the steering stabilizer, top, carpet, trim the fenders, ditch the air dam, skids, fog lights, center console, radio, speakers, tailgate, side steps, trim the front and rear bumper....you get the idea.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thanx guys, but I want to clarify few points here. I do want to reduce the weight, but I dont want to loose the normal parts & accessories like Radio, A/C, doors. seats, Spare tire.....etc, I want to be able to use my Jeep as a daily driver. Now I made my homework & this is what I found so far:

1- Light Weight Battery saves 20 lbs, cost USD 200
2- Light Weight 17" Wheels & 32" tires can save about 10 lbs in total. Cost USD 2000
3- Light weight Hood; no idea about weight saving vs stock.
4- Suspension; no idea about weight saving vs stock.
5- Exhaust system, muffler; no idea about weight saving vs stock.

Some of you recommended modifying the engine, but I dont think a CAI will add anything solid to increase torque (thats the only engine modification I know of for 3.6 JKs). I know RIPP will be releasing their new Supercharger for the Pentastar soon, but I dont want go this route coz im not in the USA & it'll cost me twice what it costs you to do it here. I've seen a lot of modern 4x4s with HP rates from 400-600 get stuck in the sand while a 40 years old 4X4 that weighs 2500 lbs and has a new 2 liter engine (120 HP) passes next to them without getting stuck!!

Last edited by rebel78; 02-21-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 AM
JK Super Freak

can always just ask the vendors/manufacturers.

http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...&product_id=49
river raider also has a full set of aluminum skids, but I'm really not sure if there are any aluminum skids for the 2012 yet

http://www.rockkrawler.com/ 3.5 x factor pro system

also, do you not want to lose the wheel for look or function? because a flat repair kit would work just fine in place of the spare. and why do they need to be a 17" wheel? do some 15s, something like

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...n=72&typ=Truck
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV

also, no need to totally lose the doors, you can just do full soft doors so that it still works as a DD, but for off roading its still super light

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11144_135_07.htm

same thing, if its a 2 door, unless you specifically plan on having people sit in the back (in which case, they will probably hate you anyways since theres no room back there) pull the back seats!

Last edited by sneck; 02-21-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK Light Weight Parts