Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2400 to fix death wobble?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2400 to fix death wobble?

Lol does this sound right to you guys? I think I got a profiler. I took my rig to another shop I don't usually go to because my other shop couldn't figure out what's wrong. Turns out they say the right caliper and the front joints I guess where the control arms are, I don't really know, need to be replaced. Also that I need a bigger bolt for something which I figured since that's a more common cause for dw. Plus charging my king ss and balancing the tires. $2400.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AveryR
Lol does this sound right to you guys? I think I got a profiler. I took my rig to another shop I don't usually go to because my other shop couldn't figure out what's wrong. Turns out they say the right caliper and the front joints I guess where the control arms are, I don't really know, need to be replaced. Also that I need a bigger bolt for something which I figured since that's a more common cause for dw. Plus charging my king ss and balancing the tires. $2400.
What's the year & mileage on your jeep?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

2010. 26k. And it had been sitting in the garage for a year.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AveryR
2010. 26k. And it had been sitting in the garage for a year.
Front joints at 26k seem a little too early to me. You running larger sized tires and off-roading a lot prior to it sitting for a year?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

There probably saying you need a bigger bolt for the front track bar which sometime the holes will waller out but if it didnt have th DW before you parked it its probably not that all i did to mine was change the stabilizer and buy new tires and my DW went away but my tires were worn out and pitted just have yours rotated and balanced and maybe an alignment that should fix it
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine got real bad the other day at 35 mph. Found the right front tire was worn real bad and the left front was also worn but not as bad. Also found that the shimmy shock was leaking. I bought a new shimmy shock 75 dollars and rotated both tires to the back and now more problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1

Front joints at 26k seem a little too early to me. You running larger sized tires and off-roading a lot prior to it sitting for a year?
Nope not too much. I have 40s and that's what they said will wear them out fast. Bad from 35-40. Even a slight hump in the road will set it off

And yeah the Waller out thing is what I figured. Already paid for an alignment. They said they'll balance them and charge the ss too. I don't know. I'm just wondering am I getting screwed?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the big bolt kit from northridge4x4 and it eliminated mine, about $29.00 if I remember correctly, might be a less expensive option worth trying before you try more expensive options.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Did it have this problem before you parked it for a year? If not more than likely the track bar bolt is not the problem. The most common thing is the tires flat spotting from sitting in the same place for an extended period of time. This is usually felt as a thumping sound driving down the road. If the tires are worn out replace them first along with recharging/ rebuilding the steering stabilizer. This way you are not wasting money by replacing what you know is worn or broken and it may solve the problem too. Also see if there is play in the track bar from the bolt holes wollowing out.

Last edited by v8zracer260z; 01-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure dw can cost a bit to repair even if properly or unproperly diagnosed. But damn, sounds to me like your getting screwed. Hell, I replaced all 8 arms on mine (and it was necessary), along with correcting other issues and it still didn't cost me that much. Maybe most of that is labor costs? At least get an itemization of what they think is wrong. Then get another opinion. And also see if they will show you the issues they itemized. I mean honestly "front joints", "bigger bolt" - hope that was not exactly what they told you.

I would consider replacing only 1 thing at a time too. Otherwise you will probably never know the root cause.

Anyhow, wish you luck. Took me a while to finally correct mine, both times. But I know what the cause was each time by carefully inspecting the components that contribute to the issue. Now it drives so damn nice I still can't believe it.

Quick Reply: 2400 to fix death wobble?