Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

255/80-17 KM2's 2DR JK Wrangler

Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troymcmullen
No real lift, 19/59 springs and 3/4" Spacers in the front. But thats it, does wonders in the two door. Fox Shox.
Sweet.....thanks. This is my next tire most likely......
Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 71Luber
Looking good. I wish I could run those, but they would suck so much ass here in the winter, it's not even funny.
Why would these not be a great winter tire?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Research it my friend.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Research it my friend.
Does living 17 years in Western Canada with white roads several months of each winter count as research?

When I moved to a logging town in the mountains of British Columbia I saw the loggers all ran tall skinny snow tires on their 4x4 pickups. These guys drive unplowed back roads every day. The average annual snowfall was 13 feet down on the valley floor.

I asked about the tires and their answer was straightforward: Narrow tread has proven to be the best in snow. So, I did some research and found that tires work better in snow or ice when they cut a narrow path and have more pounds per square inch of contact area.

There are other factors. The narrow tread does not help much unless the tire has big self-cleaning tread. The rubber compound makes a difference also. The best winter tires are made with hydrophillic rubber, a strange compound that is stickiest around 32 degrees where snow/ice are slickest. You don't see this rubber in truck tire much however. Its found in the best snow tires for cars.

Anyway I swapped out my wide tires for some funny looking skinny snows and never did better in the snow. However, they aren't the tires I'd want in mud or sand where some flotation helps.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's got nothing to do with width and all about tread and siping.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

It's got nothing to do with width and all about tread and siping.
Absolutely correct about the contact patch surface (tread and siping). People who drive where it snows deep and for months at a time find it also has a lot to do with width. Even with moderate snowfall that gets packed down on paved roads in heavily populated areas the greater PSI of a narrow contact patch helps the tread surface do its job. Its a simple truth that tends to go unnoticed except where winter is long and snow conditions are extreme.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by troymcmullen
No real lift, 19/59 springs and 3/4" Spacers in the front. But thats it, does wonders in the two door. Fox Shox.
Thanks for all the info you provided. I would like to put these sized tires on my jeep but dont want to install spacers or lifts. Would that be possible?
Are those 3/4" spacers you mentioned spring spacers or wheel spacers?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brieolas
Thanks for all the info you provided. I would like to put these sized tires on my jeep but dont want to install spacers or lifts. Would that be possible?
Are those 3/4" spacers you mentioned spring spacers or wheel spacers?

The 3/4 spacers are on the front suspension, he is running wheel spacers but mentioned they are not needed. It appears you can run these with no wheel spacers on stock suspension and be good. I like this size because I don't want new wheels and I don't want to run wheel spacers either.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine came stock with 255/75-17 KM's so I know those will fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Jeep 005 (Small).jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	514087

Quick Reply: 255/80-17 KM2's 2DR JK Wrangler