Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

295/70/17 regear?

Old 04-18-2019, 03:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious how tires have worked out? Currently JKU Willys Wheeler 2017 stock wheels, 3.73 ratio, no lift/no spacer. Looking to move from 255/75R17. Will be adding Spidertrex 1.5" adapters but not lifting yet. Looks like 285/70R17 would be fine but now thinking 295/70R17. Thought?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob T
Curious how tires have worked out? Currently JKU Willys Wheeler 2017 stock wheels, 3.73 ratio, no lift/no spacer. Looking to move from 255/75R17. Will be adding Spidertrex 1.5" adapters but not lifting yet. Looks like 285/70R17 would be fine but now thinking 295/70R17. Thought?
Hey Rob, policies vary greatly across the regions. Since you mention spacers, you might inquire with your local tire stores if they have any specific policies regarding those. Some areas, like here in DFW, shops won't tough a vehicle with spacers due to liability issues, which makes getting tires mounted, and keeping tires balanced, a real hassle. Just test the waters before rather than after you add them.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Hey Rob, policies vary greatly across the regions. Since you mention spacers, you might inquire with your local tire stores if they have any specific policies regarding those. Some areas, like here in DFW, shops won't tough a vehicle with spacers due to liability issues, which makes getting tires mounted, and keeping tires balanced, a real hassle. Just test the waters before rather than after you add them.
Good call. I checked with the local Discount Tire and they won't touch spacers but hesitantly said they would work on vehicles with the bolt on adapters. My fault for saying spacers when meaning adapter too. So far, I hearing I can use 285/70R17 and might need adapters for anything more than trails. 295/70R17 will need adapters and a minimum of a 2" front & 1" rear leveling kit.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rob T
I checked with the local Discount Tire and they won't touch spacers but hesitantly said they would work on vehicles with the bolt on adapters. My fault for saying spacers when meaning adapter too. .
I'm a little confused as both are essentially the same thing, cept that "adapters" would be used to change the lug nut pattern (say from 5x5.5 to 5x5) and "spacers" are keeping the same pattern. Both will go between the brake rotor and the wheel and require an additional set of lug nuts.....which is the cause for liability concerns. Seems like they'd either be ok with both, or neither. I wonder if by "adapter" they are thinking an adapter ring for a hub.....as in you have aftermarket wheels but the hub bore in the new wheel is larger, so you use an adapter ring to match the hub up to the bore in the new wheel? It's really up to you to confirm. I just know it's a rude awakening to have spacers and not have anyone willing to work on your vehicle.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm wondering if, from the tire shop's standpoint, the terminology is a legal issue for them based on the idea that a "spacer" can include the cheap do-not-ever-use versions that just reduce the amount of available stud thread, while an "adapter", by definition, has to include a separate set of studs?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

^^ that could very well be as well I suppose. Good point.

Quick Reply: 295/70/17 regear?