Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.21 to 4.10 swap...

Old 08-15-2007, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your front axel has a different gear ratio than the back the axel it will turn at different speeds and cause many problems.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its pretty easy since the factory pinion gears have a marking on them to tell you what the pinion shims "should" be. In theory and it's worked for me many times is get your reading from the pinion head look up the shim thickness and install. No issues. If you have done gears before setting up the pinion can be a pain. Any setup questions ask. Also there are a few of us on here that have the factory manual so hit somebody to find out your shim thickness.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

So do I need the new overhaul kit? or should I try it without? Can you do it without setup bearings? I just don't want to get started and mess up my current bearings and then have to order some anyway. I have all the tools except for the non-click torque wrench to set the pinion preload.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Doug.. where can I get a copy of the factory manual?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I made setup bearings for my last TJ for the D30 and D44 and it helps alot. I just saying that setting up the pinion bearing should be alot easier than doing an aftermarket set. Yes I would buy the over haul kit because if you have some crappy bearing spliters they will brake the bearing cage off long before you get it off the diff. So the extra bearing would be a good idea.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I need to stop being so lazy and see if I can make a copy of the cd. I can't remember the site off hand but the CD was 150.00 and the actual book was 300.00. Let see if I can get it into a file this weekend and I will upload it for you.

Quick Reply: 3.21 to 4.10 swap...