Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.5" lifted JKU needs shocks

Old 02-28-2023, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.5" lifted JKU needs shocks

Cheers everyone. Im new to the forum.

Dropping my first post / inquiry. I'm in the market for new shocks and would like to purchase Rancho 9000's. My 2013 is on a 3.5" spring lift. Currently, Im running shot Fox 2.0's. (I know, I can have them rebuilt but that's not an option for me) So I'd like to confirm if anyone with experience can confirm that the Ranchos I've selected will work with my lift based off of what Im currently fitted with?

CURRENT SET - FOX 2.0
Front: 980-24-887
Back: 980-24-888

PLAN TO PURCHASE - RANCHO RS9000
Front: RS999329
Back: RS999330
Old 03-01-2023, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

People always want straightforward answers on shock lengths, but there are so many variables. The way the jeep sits, the bumpstops you have, the fenders you use. The only proper way to figure these things out is to remove the springs and cycle the suspension so you can measure your uptravel and downtravel and then scrutinize extended and collapsed shock lengths to pair things appropriately. Hardly anybody wants, or takes the time, to do that. If you didn't look up those differences, here they are -

FOX front - collapsed 15.55" extended 25.15"
FOX rear - collapsed 15.65" extended 24.75

Rancho front - collapsed 15.75" extended 25.06
Rancho rear - collapsed 16.11" extended 25.70"

If you go with the Ranchos a lot of folks will say to 1) turn the rear shock so the adjustment know is facing the axle to keep it protected, and 2) remove those adjustment knobs so they don't get lost/damaged (just keep em in the jeep).

Best guess is they are close enough that if what you have works, the Ranchos will be fine, but the only way to really determine what the proper shock length is for you is stated above.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
RickLB (03-11-2023), Threepointsix (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Best guess is they are close enough that if what you have works, the Ranchos will be fine, but the only way to really determine what the proper shock length is for you is stated above.
Thank you for chiming in. I agree, the flex test would be best. But my thinking is that the Jeep has had the Fox installed for however many miles and the previous owner did offroad in it. So if the lengths are within the parameters you posted (which is also how I concluded the 2 model #'s of choice) I should be fine. I was hoping someone could confirm. But you're right, it's not that cut and dry. Ultimately this Jeep will only be used on fire trails and mostly highway and around town.

Also- I did not know that the adjustment knobs can be removed. That is good to know. So thanks again. And furthermore that I should install them facing the axels. But if I have no plans to take it to the extreme Id imagine I should be good with them facing out. Curious though, what tool people would use to adjust them? My guess would be basic pliers but if facing inward then maybe something else?

Last edited by Threepointsix; 03-01-2023 at 09:37 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-01-2023, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I've never had those shocks, but I guess my impression has always been those just turn easily by hand. The one other thing that comes to mind, and given where you live, is rust issues with the adjustment. You might just keep that little knob area coated nicely with FF or whatever you choose to use up there in the winter. @Rancho is a forum sponsor. I'm not sure if they offer a discount but that might be worth hitting them up to ask.
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (03-02-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Absolutely fantastic point on the rust. I give the Jeep a liberal dose of FF every Fall and touch it up in the winter. It's been my go-to for a few years now on a little TJ that I own and now, the JKU too. I was hoping that @Rancho was a sponsor and would maybe offer a percent off to members. We'll see.

Thanks again for all the help- I really appreciate it! Will chime back here when I've got my new shocks installed. Im not looking forward to that passenger side front shock though. Patience and luck, I guess.
Rancho (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 06:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Passenger side is a PITA.
But once you clearance it out god to go.
At this time we do not sell direct, but maybe someday...

Originally Posted by Threepointsix
Absolutely fantastic point on the rust. I give the Jeep a liberal dose of FF every Fall and touch it up in the winter. It's been my go-to for a few years now on a little TJ that I own and now, the JKU too. I was hoping that @Rancho was a sponsor and would maybe offer a percent off to members. We'll see.

Thanks again for all the help- I really appreciate it! Will chime back here when I've got my new shocks installed. Im not looking forward to that passenger side front shock though. Patience and luck, I guess.
Threepointsix (03-03-2023)

Quick Reply: 3.5" lifted JKU needs shocks