Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.6 Turbo

Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubicon
If you would actually have read my post you would see we are saying the same thing for the most part. That the turbo wouldn't be beneficial on the trail because it would require WOT to spool the turbo and that's not what's going on for most. That's why I said it would benefit mud bog trucks.

And the comment regarding a bag of ice was me being sarcastic but there is some truth to it. The turbo requires the intercooler to keep cool and it gets that air from traveling faster down the road. If a guy is just sitting on a rock or trail spinning the tires and not going anywhere the intercooler may as well not even be hooked up. If you've ever seen a car on a dyno, that's why the tuner will typically place a large fan in front of the intercooler and put a bag of ice on the intercooler. Same thing happens at the dragstrip.

And yes, I understand how all this works. I built an 06 WRX with three different turbo setups and spent time at the track.
the intercooler does not cool the turbo.

oil or coolant cools the turbo.

are you sure you have ever had a turbo charged vehicle?

the purpose of an intercooler is to cool CHARGE AIR...which is the compressed air coming from the turbo...key word FROM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jksteve2013
the intercooler does not cool the turbo. oil or coolant cools the turbo. are you sure you have ever had a turbo charged vehicle? the purpose of an intercooler is to cool CHARGE AIR...which is the compressed air coming from the turbo...key word FROM.
Yes we've established that my wording on the matter was incorrect. There, I fixed it. Still doesn't negate my point about the inability for the intercooler to do its job if the vehicle is sitting still, spinning the tires at WOT.

Last edited by Stubicon; 12-12-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dead horse = beaten
Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Impostr
Dead horse = beaten
yep. The real issue is many of us have a lot of knowledge and when we decide to put it down in words, it doesn't always come out how we know it in mind. But, it's fun nonetheless watching these pissing matches at times.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's true, most of the time I'm typing on my iPhone and I go back to read my post and I'm like, what the hell happened.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stubicon
It's true, most of the time I'm typing on my iPhone and I go back to read my post and I'm like, what the hell happened.
we all do it. No one is immune from the mind to hand translation.

Quick Reply: 3.6 Turbo