Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8 Engine upgrade question

Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses on this link. Has given me some positive re assurance about the motor. Ill be home the first week in June and looking forward to updating with the upgrades. Did switch from the 5:13 to 4:88's. should have gone this route in the first place since i have the standard trans.
Thanks again for the responses!.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your service!

My '07 has 157K on it with no major issues. Runs like a top. Like others I do keep an eye on oil consumption and PCV valve, which often pops out or has oil blown by. Just keeping up with maintenance you should have very few issues. When mine finally goes I'll replace it with a reman 3.8. Wish I could afford LS, but just not realistic for me with 5 kids in Catholic school.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

I bought my 2011 JK Sahara in July of 2017 with 12,500 miles...13 months later it has over 31,000 miles...I hate the fact that I love this damb thing. Yeah your right its not a powerful engine but hey at least I won't get a speeding ticket.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 3.8 has 155k miles with no problems so far, wish I had more power,but really don’t need it
The following users liked this post:
murdoc319 (01-17-2020)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a 2008 do you have the lifetime powertrain warranty?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up 3.8 Performance mods

09JKU with 3.8 at 90K miles. No issues so far. Have done regular maintenance (oil changes etc.) and only thing I've only had to change so far is the EGR valve. Just did that because it started drinking oil. Performance mods that I have done to my 3.8 include:

Bullydog Gas GT tuner ($450) - running premium tune, noticeable (seat of the pants) difference over stock. I also like being able to monitor my transmission temp now.
Livewires ignition system ($185) and platinum plugs gapped at .065 - noticed slight difference in HP above 4K rpm. when climbing hills. Another advantage of this kit is that it comes with high temp. spark plug wires which is a must when running long tube headers.
BBK Long tube ceramic coated headers and AFE Mach Force XP cat back exhaust ($2K for both) - made a SIGNIFICANT difference in low end torque over stock manifolds and exhaust. I really like the way this exhaust system sounds. Quiet at idle and just cruising around, but when I get on it, it has a very healthy grunt - almost sounds like a V8.
AFE cold air intake - not sure how much difference over stock this add on made. It came with the Jeep when I bought it.
Throttle body spacer - no noticeable performance gain, but makes a cool "whistle" sound when I get on the gas.
I also had my JK regeared to 5:13's and installed an Eaton LSD in the rear diff. ($2K for both done at a professional shop) I would say that of all of the mods I've done, this is the one that had the greatest impact on power and torque.

With these mods, I'm pretty pleased with the performance of my 3.8 JK. I primarily take it on the dunes and some occasional trail riding. Has no problem getting over the largest dunes and challenging trails in 4HI.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RED09JKU
09JKU with 3.8 at 90K miles. No issues so far. Have done regular maintenance (oil changes etc.) and only thing I've only had to change so far is the EGR valve. Just did that because it started drinking oil. Performance mods that I have done to my 3.8 include:

Bullydog Gas GT tuner ($450) - running premium tune, noticeable (seat of the pants) difference over stock. I also like being able to monitor my transmission temp now.
Livewires ignition system ($185) and platinum plugs gapped at .065 - noticed slight difference in HP above 4K rpm. when climbing hills. Another advantage of this kit is that it comes with high temp. spark plug wires which is a must when running long tube headers.
BBK Long tube ceramic coated headers and AFE Mach Force XP cat back exhaust ($2K for both) - made a SIGNIFICANT difference in low end torque over stock manifolds and exhaust. I really like the way this exhaust system sounds. Quiet at idle and just cruising around, but when I get on it, it has a very healthy grunt - almost sounds like a V8.
AFE cold air intake - not sure how much difference over stock this add on made. It came with the Jeep when I bought it.
Throttle body spacer - no noticeable performance gain, but makes a cool "whistle" sound when I get on the gas.
I also had my JK regeared to 5:13's and installed an Eaton LSD in the rear diff. ($2K for both done at a professional shop) I would say that of all of the mods I've done, this is the one that had the greatest impact on power and torque.

With these mods, I'm pretty pleased with the performance of my 3.8 JK. I primarily take it on the dunes and some occasional trail riding. Has no problem getting over the largest dunes and challenging trails in 4HI.
With all the money you put into bolt ons you could have bought a complete used supercharger kit!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Know where I can get one? That's the next bolt on!
Old 01-14-2020, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2011 3.8 down at 88k

My motor seized at 88k for my 2011 I am on a budget but not looking to put the same 3.8 back in it but I also cannot afford a complete LS swap are there currently in decent crate motors that I can get that will fit.. or fit with a decently priced conversion kit?
Old 01-14-2020, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

What do you consider decently priced? The Cummins 2.8 may be worth looking at. I think you can get an adapter to bolt up to the Jeep transmission.

Quick Reply: 3.8 Engine upgrade question