Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Lift Problems

Old 01-14-2007, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Lift Problems

Hi all i just received my Full Traction 3" econo lift this weekend and installed it. i had a few problems with the lift and was hoping the gurus here could help me figure them out and solve them.

first off i have to say it looks great! much bigger then i had imagined Fiance has trouble getting in now but that was to be expected

anyways installation was pretty straight forward thanks to way of life's walkthrough. i just incountered 2 problems with the parts the kit brought. first was the front track bar relocation bracket. which from what i have read so far on the forum on the 2" lift may be what causing some of my problems... anyways the bracket has 4 holes one for the original bolt 2smaller ones and one for the bar to be relocated to. of the smaller holes one is off about 1/8" and will not allow me to insert bolt. since i don't have a shop or machinery to correct this i installed the bracket without that one smaller bolt. with all others on tight.

#2 the rear strap bracket that reinforces the rear track bar relocation bracket. also is off a bit. it has long eye cut for the bolt to be installed but the diameter is not big enough for the bolt to fit. it would have to be drilled out a bit larger to fit the bolt that was there and and was supplied. i had to use a smaller bolt sightly (the one from the swaybar linkage) and get a replacement for the swaybar linkage to install this reinforcement bracket/strap.

as far as installation those where the only quirks.

i recentered the steering wheel and took it for a test drive. i quickly noticed some slight wandering and not sure if it is bumpsteer or death wobble. so i took it in to get alined today as per the instructions Full Traction suggests getting a professional allinment after the install but it did not correct this wobble.

when i hit a bump not all of them but i guess a good one or an uneven bump with just one wheel the steering wheel and entire front end wobbles badly! and i mean a bit scarry! i was on the freeway and had to pull over to an almost complete stop for it to subside. is this "death wobble"? sounds like it.

anyways if anyone has some suggestions on what to do from this point it would be greatly appreciated!
also i will post some pics asap of the lift. still waiting on rims and tires now. :sad: looks little wimpy on the stock X16s
Old 01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

"DEATH WOBBLE" is very scary.

I had it in my 96 ZJ. The front tire will seem to (if not in reality) leave the ground. The steering wheel will go back and forth from appox. 9 to 3 and back and forth so fast that you cannot control it, while your tires are barking and squealing.

I hope this is not what you are experiencing. I never want to see death wobble again. I have my fingers crossed that the wheel to wheel tire rod and the longer control arms might fix this.

*****sorry about the rant, I HATE DEATH WOBBLE*********

If all components are tight and in good condition the differences in the angles of track bars and drag links can cause death wobble issues. This could be why others are recommending to not use the track bar relocation brackets with the shorter lifts. Keep in mind that I have not lifted a JK, YET!!! Correct caster can also correct a lot of undesirable steering characteristics.

Last edited by boonejeepin; 01-14-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

I would check to see if you have everything tight. That missing bolt might be the problem. My dodge truck had the death wobble problem and it was all the track bar. The joint on one end was worn and allowed movement (side to side) and that is what the wobble is. I would specifically check the track bar mounts. If anything, take that relocation bracket off and see what happens. I would say take the track bar relocation bracket off first and then order you a front adjustable track bar as soon as it is off.

I put my money on the track bar being the problem. I remember the first time my truck did the "death wobble", 75 on the freeway in rush hour traffic pulling a trailer. I thought I was toast. New track bar and no problems since.

Bryan
Old 01-14-2007, 07:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Death wobble is almost always caused by a loose front track bar or other front end suspension component. I would have to guess that your bracket is too loose due to the additional bolt not being installed. Also, did you make sure to torque everything to spec?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

I guess I should have said that if all components are tight and in good condition.

here is a good link on DW
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...athwobble.html

Last edited by boonejeepin; 01-14-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is definitely DW. i had it in my TJ, and it'll pucker your bumhole up real good. check the track bar, and also the caster in the front end. 3" may not be enough to really throw it out, but some adj. control arms in my TJ were what solved mine...
Old 01-15-2007, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

k going to check the track bar today. yes i torqued everything to spec. if it is that bolt missing, how should i resolve this misallinment with the holes for that bolt? drill for bolt? or shave the bottom for better seatment?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Another vote for taking the track bar bracket off. It will put your drag link and track bar back at the same angle....which is a good thing.

Also might not have enough caster or the combination of both things.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Again, take the bracket off. This will rule out that piece. From what I keep hearing from other lift owners, they are all saying the adjustable track bar is needed to get a good ride.

Bryan
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

i vote for taking the track bar bracket off. i didn't have death woble
but i did have a lot of bump stear w/ 2'' lift.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift Problems