Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

325/65R18 Duratracs on Sahara wheels

Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've searched for this and come up with inconclusive answers. I'm currently running 33" duratracs on my sahara wheels and want to go 35's. Definitely want another set of duratracs. 325/65R18 seems to be the size to go to. I know they don't fall in the "approved" wheel width but I did see a post or two where people have done it successfully. Can anyone else chime in? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Many people are running wide tires on stock rims with no issues. It is up to the individual tire shop as to whether or not they will mount them on rim that are narrower than the mfg spec. If they won't, find another shop that will. You are adding wheel spacers, correct?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Many people are running wide tires on stock rims with no issues. It is up to the individual tire shop as to whether or not they will mount them on rim that are narrower than the mfg spec. If they won't, find another shop that will. You are adding wheel spacers, correct?
Yeah, I already run them
Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

These tires are 13" wide. Approved wheel width is 9" to 12" and the factory wheel is 7.5". I know people push these limits and about an inch out of approval works but would this be pushing it too far?
Old 12-25-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run them. When people say they don't have any issues it just means they don't know that they have issues or they don't consider the issues to be issues. When the tire is too wide for the rim, it will bow the center of the tread and cause the center to wear faster and exhibit what some people refer to as a flighty feel. Lowering the pressure enough to bring the tread flat, can sometimes lead to pressures too low to properly support the load and give a mushy feel when cornering. You generally have to find the sweet spot in the middle and understand that the tire will wear the center of the tread faster. Due to running tires with a larger volume of air on lightweight Jeeps, we already have to lower the air pressure because the load vs. inflation is different with the larger tires. It will be tough to get a definitive answer and most people don't weigh thier Jeep at each tire and research load vs. inflation when considering different tires.

275/70R18 Is a common size that is run on these rims without problem. It is smaller and it would be difficult to compare it to the 325/65R18 without weighing the Jeep.
FWIW the Quadratec Moab style wheels are 8.5" wide which would keep the Jeep look and get you closer to the 9" recommendation. They are affordable as far as wheels go and will run without spacers. A comparable size to fit with the wheels would be 315/70R17 and these tires should be about $50 cheaper than the ones you are considering which would offset some of the cost of new wheels and be cheaper when you buy your next set of tires.

Last edited by Smitty12JKU; 12-25-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Blowing a bead while aired down would be my concern

Quick Reply: 325/65R18 Duratracs on Sahara wheels