Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Another..."Which 33 would you run?" poll.
Hankook Dynapro MT
10.26%
Firestone Destination MT
12.82%
Kumho Round Venture MT
6.41%
Cooper Discoverer STT
34.62%
Dick Cepek FC II
8.97%
Procomp xtreme AT
26.92%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

a 33" decision?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a 33" decision?

Hi,

I have started to narrow down my choice for 33s. The Toyo Open Country MT is what i would have picked, but out of my price range.

The vehicle: 08 4dr Sahara Auto 3.73
The use: primarily DD in Southern Calif, weekend expeditions with boy scouts, norock climbing, fire road, mountain trails, packed snow during ski season, desert, and beach use.

So, which would you go for if budget IS an issue?

J.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

285 Dunlop Mud Rovers.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am in the same boat Jlow and have been looking for months. I have narrowed it down to the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ or the Pro Comp Extreme AT. Both are Great on the road and will get you through most trails that you might go on. They are also a less bulkiy tire to run with not having as much knobby tread. I am leaning towards the Pro Comps because they look a bit more aggressive then the Mickey Thompsons. I run Pro comp MT's on my CJ and have been on and off the road a lot. A great tire, but loud for DD driving...Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I settled for the 285 70r17 Firestone Destination MT, seemed to get the best bang for the buck reviews, they just arrived a couple days ago and haven't had them fitted yet so cant comment on performance, but the price was right, reviews were good and they look awesome
Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Procomp is doing a buy 3 get one free sale on their procomp tires. That may sway you a bit.

Where in Mission Viejo are you? I am in RSM
Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look man, - do whats best for you.

Sounds to me like you need an A/T tire, lots of sand and loose dirt, and I am in the same boat...

Strict budget... back-n-forth to work, back-n-forth to work, lil' girls soccor practice, back-n-forth to work,
party on river street (Shine it up!) back-n-forth to work, buddy calls only 5mi. away occasional wheelin',
back-n-forth to work. ect...

My lil bro (in So. IL) has a TJ and wheels' all the time (makes me sick). He's got 4" lift & 33" MT MTZ's and
loves them. He's got a friend in a lifted Silverado w/ ATZ's and all but keeps up w/ him. So if your thinkin'
Procomp extreme A/T's, look hard at the MT ATZ's first. IMO the better of the two.

Here is MY opinoin

Mickey T's ATZ - Awesome but pricey
Pro Comp Xt. A/T's - Same, but very pricey
Nitto TG's - The best value for the money! (hope U get enough traction, but great on pavement)
BFG AT KO's - Hard to balance, provin' themselves for years... old technology!
BFG KM2's - Absolutely love them! Just don't need 'em. (got KM's now and sick of the noise.)
-BUT give me 35" @ $180 a tire I'm there!

I did look at Kumho's KL78... The 315/70-17 has the cool sidewall, but I have mixed emotions... Hard to balance and quick wear.
... I'll prolly' settle w/ the Nitto's and a small BB until the budget allows more.

Good luck

Last edited by ZoSo-Green; 09-19-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I''d like to go up to 33's, but I don't want to go much wider, as I prefer to keep the tires lighter and avoid spacers, bump stops, and general rubbing. Are those tires listed in the poll all about the same width?

thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Unfortunitly you can not get 33's in any tire without rubbin' because of the width. BUT, If all you do is "mall crawlin"
you can get away with it. Any full flexin offroad (you never know when you'll run into it) will, more than likely rub.
Maybe a 275/70-18 around 11" + or - wide depending on the mfg.

Last edited by ZoSo-Green; 09-19-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Being as it is primarily a DD.....take a good look at the Nitto Terra Grapplers.....They are awsome on the road and in rain snow and even ice. They also do great offroad as long as you stay away from deep mud. Another plus, they look good, are cheap and have great tread life.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

X2! on the TG's!
Balt we can always count on you chime-n-in when TG's are on the table

Quick Reply: a 33" decision?