Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33 inch tires

Old 02-25-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an x with 3.73 gears and went to 33's. it's a pain to get it to go uphill and i basically just leave the O/D off to give it a little extra power. going up a slight incline at 60ish is enough to make it struggle. around town it's fine though but on the highway commuting it's annoying. 4.10's would probably be okay for 33's.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's get some clarification on all of this. Changing tires does NOT change gear ratios. No how, no way no where, no time. A 4.10 gear is a 4.10 gear, now and forever. Now, what changing tires DOES change is called the "effective" ratio. In other words, the FINAL drive ratio. We all know (I hope), that a larger tire takes longer to rotate one RPM at the same speed as a smaller one. So, when we put larger tires on a vehicle whose FINAL drive ratio is 4.10, we change the final (effective) drive ratio to a higher gear. Gears are confusing. The numerically higher the gear, the "lower" the gear, and the numerically lower the gear, the "higher" the gear. In other words a 4.10 is a lower gear than a 3.73.

Quick Reply: 33 inch tires