Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35 inch tire: replace carrier?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 inch tire: replace carrier?

Im going to replace my stock tires w/ prob 35 inch GY Duratracs. I realize most people w/ bigger tires replace the tire carrier, is this a must w/ the Duratracs since they are a smaller and lighter tire? Anyone do long term damage?

Interestingly enough, I realized the other day my tire carrier is broken already. Spare tire hit a tree backing up and busted it right in half. Bodyshop is ordering a new one.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you break the rear tire carrier that mounts to the rear gate? If so you could find one on here, matter-o-fact, you pay for shipping and I can send that too ya. 3rd brake light is removed for oversized tire though.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Lots of people will tell you to run a tire carrier, that the stock will fail over time. But until you can spend the much money...This might buy you some time to save up.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
I was just planning on taking off my spare tire spot completely. But, if this could help hold for a little, thatd be awesome!
I have no personal experience with it. But something is better than nothing... I want to say I read in "Show & Tell" section on this bracket the other day. Maybe do a search in there & get some feedback from the guy who installed it.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't do it and you wheel or even go over a big bump it can and WILL eventually tweak the ish out of your tailgate; happened to me. I knew I needed a carrier just never did it until it busted up my tailgate.

It's best to use a proper carrier with oversize tires.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983
Im going to replace my stock tires w/ prob 35 inch GY Duratracs. I realize most people w/ bigger tires replace the tire carrier, is this a must w/ the Duratracs since they are a smaller and lighter tire? Anyone do long term damage?

Interestingly enough, I realized the other day my tire carrier is broken already. Spare tire hit a tree backing up and busted it right in half. Bodyshop is ordering a new one.
Here's one idea for you ... this AEV carrier is rock solid and swings with the tailgate. No extra latches to open/close.

AEV tire carrier and stock bumper. Has anyone done this yet?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Watching

I'll be watching this thread,
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run 35s and have it mounted on stock tire carrier. I wheel every weekend and haven't ran into a single problem with it yet. Been running this set up for 6 months now. Also still have my 3 rd brake light with no problems.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sacdaddy03
Lots of people will tell you to run a tire carrier, that the stock will fail over time. But until you can spend the much money...This might buy you some time to save up.

I've read on other threads that this will help with the welds, but ultimately your door hinges will give out.

I'll be watching this thread as well, I plan on purchasing the 315/70/17 Duratracs next month.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sacdaddy03

I have this and it does spread the load out better, but it is a pain to install if you have large hands.

Running it with 33's, but also have a rack on it that carries two 5 gal cans.

Quick Reply: 35 inch tire: replace carrier?