JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   37" tires = new bumper? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/37-tires-%3D-new-bumper-10953/)

stevenisthug 06-28-2007 12:53 AM

37" tires = new bumper?

would i need to get a new bumper if i was gonna get a 4" lift with 37" tires?? i have a 2 door 6 spd x

FRDesign 06-28-2007 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by stevenisthug (Post 119529)
would i need to get a new bumper if i was gonna get a 4" lift with 37" tires?? i have a 2 door 6 spd x

No. But I suggest getting some upgraded Axles with 37"s. 2" more lift would help, as rubbing will occur with your set-up.

stevenisthug 06-28-2007 01:04 AM

well maybe a 2 inch lift would be more... well "economical"... what size tires can i fit on a 2 inch lift? 35 right?

ToyFamily 06-28-2007 03:33 AM

We have a 3" lift on our shop JK (4 door) with 37"s. Some trimming of plasic is involved but nothing big. Most of our trimming is due to having 5" (lift) links pushing the axles forward-back. We cut the rear bumper ends, then found it looked better without a bumper (after it got smashed) until our prototype comes in.

I don't know for sure but with a 4" lift I'd say you'd be pretty reasonable for 37"s .....I'd go for it, but trimming plastic doesn't hurt my feelings.

Nick

SLICKWILL 06-28-2007 05:34 AM

IM HERE....

haha yea you can fit it.. youll need to do some trimming to the rear wheel wheels and remove your airdam. and you should be ok. i changed my bumper after a deer stole it lol.

i have 4" super lift and 37 boggers

i have rubbed on hard wheeling days but nothing to bad, i dont have as much flex but i think the way it looks makes up for that :)

what axles do you have??

also you can make a stubby

SLICKWILL 06-28-2007 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ruskin (Post 119703)
Not trying to hi-jack just covering the bases, but if he's getting 37" & a 4" lift doesn't he also need to get new drive shafts?

SLICKWILL, are you running stock dana 30? If so, what's your thoughts so far?

HEY I HAVE STOCK SHAFTS i want to replace them but it rides fine.
ive broken the dana 30 it twice once while stock wheeling. and the second time i was stupid while driving in 4wd in the rain

DirkDigler 06-28-2007 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ruskin (Post 119703)
Not trying to hi-jack just covering the bases, but if he's getting 37" & a 4" lift doesn't he also need to get new drive shafts?

SLICKWILL, are you running stock dana 30? If so, what's your thoughts so far?

You don't need new drive shafts on a 4 inch lift, depending on the amount of travel that you get out of it. You can always limit or increase travel, keeping the drive shafts in check.

jeffmarion 06-28-2007 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by DirkDigler (Post 119799)
You don't need new drive shafts on a 4 inch lift, depending on the amount of travel that you get out of it. You can always limit or increase travel, keeping the drive shafts in check.

You should be replacing shafts on a 4", I have an unlimited, my rear is fine, but the front is another story. I am rubbing on the front cross member (a little grove in the shaft), and the angle the boot is in is begging for a tear. I will be replacing mine soon.

muddpuppy01 06-28-2007 05:44 PM

I catch my front bumper on mine after my spring settled that is not flex out either just the movement of going backward at full lock will rub it either way only in the front it could also be that the front axle is move farward alittle with ajustable control arms the air dam gets tire lovin to I think I am going to put 2" spacers up front to level it out some then I would need a new shaft.